Roof space approved! Big win .

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 18th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The strata manager tried to get some valuation done but it was proving too difficult (according to him). He said the majority of owners were keen to get it approved so they didn't want the cost to be too high which would basically defeat the purpose of all the owners being able to benefit from the sinking fun, especially the owners who don't have roof space. I am not sure how 15k was decided. But no complaints here :)

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2021
    Archaon and Gockie like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes there will be a bylaw for exclusive use. Wont be on title because it cant. But exclusive use.

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2021
    bmc likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

love it!! That idea i will run with fore sure. I am now thinking some good quality glow in the dark stars for the ceiling for at night. I can imagine the space would be so cosy...flat screen tv set up, comfy couch...

I actually thought to try and fight for a skylight provision. But i think it would take forever and unlikely to get approved.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So is the neighbor also stumping up $15k ?
    If a third does the same thing then having $45k in the sinking fund looks awesome to any buyer when you sell ;)

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep neighbor will be going ahead for sure. He's already put in the pull down stairs.

Agree its another bonus when the sinking fund looks even better to potential buyers :) Really cant lose doing this. I wouldn't exactly use the word 'stump' for the 15k. TBH i would be happy to pay 30k for it.

KateSydney likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Awesome @Sackie :)

If there's any way to put insulation into the space, do it, as roof spaces can get unbearably hot and unpleasant.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you have a good spot for the stairs? We put in some permanent stairs to the attic based on a ships ladder design so they weren't pull down but you do need some space for it. Mine are similar to this but soothing white and a lot sturdier than most of the pull down ones

[​IMG]

Shazz@ likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Better to run with permanent stairs (not too steep so it can comply with NCC for stairs & could fly for a habitable room - pull-down ladder won't pass the pub test).

I'll take half of that for consultancy fees ;)

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Once i have pictures of the space ill know more. Perhaps insulation if possible and cost effective or a split system.

10. Scott No Mates

Is it going to be your backup Iso chamber?

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've been into the neighboring unit (the guy who already put the stairs in) and it looks very similar to this. So i will get the same. When you open the front door, you take 3 steps forward and there is a shoe cupboard in front. If you look up just above the ceiling is where the steps will go.

stairs.PNG

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It wont be approved for habitable eg bedroom because no window. But office space is no issue. Just technically not allowed to sleep there. Now if i design it in such a way that there happens to be room for a bed and the agent happens to give buyers ideas of how to use the space...then... i cant help that :)

Archaon likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also think you should try to get permanent stairs if at all possible. Even a spiral would be more appealing than a pull down style stair. That's pretty much a ladder.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Tbh I think the pull down stairs looks neater. You could get ones which look more like steps than a ladder and leave it down permanently if you wanted. I'm probably going to go for something like that.

15. Scott No Mates

Foldaway looks neater but it creates the impression that it's not a real room (even if it isn't).

Archaon likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll try to find a middle ground. At the end of the day, folks aren't too fussy here. Ramshackle bathroom, shoe box apartments are getting crazy prices. I think they won't mind the pull-out stairs to heaven...:)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'd also see if you can find something more permanent. Spiral stairs don't take a lot of room, and it will make it more usable. If I had office space that I had to pull down the stairs to use, I'd never use it, but I would use a spiral staircase.

Shazz@ and Sackie like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Check out the stairs to this Tiny House loft from about 7 minutes.

Sackie and Gockie like this.
  19. wylie

Storage under the stairs looks grea, but I reckon they aren't to code (riser way too high) so that likely wouldn't get past any inspection required. But if they were made to code, that is a great idea.

I would go up a spiral with a coffee in hand, or a book, but I would avoid the ladder type. No way would I try to climb one of those pull down stairs holding anything.

I also don't like the staggered style stairs I've seen in some loft or mezzanine renovations. Some of these are clever, but I've used some staggered stairs, and it feels so strange, that spiral would be better, less confusing for our brains (or maybe it is just me who has to stop and think "which foot, which step")?

staggered stairs

20. wylie

Shazz@ and Sackie like this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.