Roof Repointing Necessary?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by FrivolousPanda, 23rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I've had gutters cleaned as there was a water stain on the ceiling and gutters had not been cleaned for about 2 years. The maintenance company has also advised to get the roof repointed using Brown Starpoint.

Is it a good idea to repoint a roof and could it resolve the water ingress?
    Is a quote for $400 reasonable?

Properties are in Perth and are 1970's single storey duplexes ~ 60sqm each.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pointing of ridge cappings is usually done if the existing mortar on the cappings is cracked, broken, missing or the cappings are loose/have moved.

$400 sounds reasonable but so would $1000 or $5 as we don't know how many metres, condition, height, access, location or the depth of your pockets.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I had this done recently on same, cost me $700 including replacing 38 cracked tiles on an 80's model.

Yours being older, who knows what's been going on up there, previous Tradies/people not walking on them correctly etc, I'd be surprised if yours didn't also need some replaced.

Thing is, unlike myself not many owners get up on their roof, when I seen the repointing I reckon I could have done a better job.

4. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

Did mine myself for about $300 including buying replacement tiles. Painted the roof myself for about $500.

5. FrivolousPanda

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling I was asking a "how long is a piece of string" question with cost estimate. I couldn't include more details about the repair work as the quote didn't have much in it but assume they aren't replacing cracked tiles as I would think they would state that in the quote. Unfortunately I'm unable to do it myself so will have to pay someone to do the work.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Loads of people blame gutters and other issues for water. Have you determined the actaul source for water damage...A tiler may be better than a company who have a revenue stream based on identifying roof repairs. Let me guess when they get upto do the $400 repoint they find broken tile and need to do more work....Shock. A $4000 job.

Typically capping covers a 1 inch gap over the tile joints on tne ridge and isnt a source of many leaks unless the capping has jumped up moved and now has a gap.

Aftre a recent hail issue I went up on our roof and found our capping was perfect but sometiles had moved. Two tiles had slid. Fixed. Three tiles had been cracked. Replaced . Capping had hairline cracks in joints. That is normal. Tiler cost me $200 to confirm what I fixed. Sweet. While up there I painted some bitsand used Karcher to clear gutters.

charlie01 and WestOz like this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sealants deteriorating around vents etc can also an issue

8. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

What's the relation between "water stain on the ceiling" and "gutters hadn't been cleaned for about 2 years"? If they are not related, then alternative cause(s) of the water stain should be found and fixed.

9. FrivolousPanda

I have read if gutters are blocked, then it could overflow into the roof cavity causing a water stain on the ceiling. I am pretty sure the gutters needed a clean anyways as it's been 2 years and there are some trees near the property. The maintenance company went on the roof to investigate the water leak and they are saying that repointing is required.

I take Paul's point that a maintenance company may not be the best to consult for roof leaks so will look for a tiler to investigate.

I'm unable to go to the property to investigate myself, also not exactly keen on walking around the roof when I don't know what I'm looking for or have any experience walking on roof apart from roof top bars. This is unfortunately why I need to pay someone to do this work for me.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unless water flows uphill, eaves will sit below the ceiling line.

Investigate further.

11. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

It can be difficult, possibly have to wait until it starts raining.