Roof replaced - colour not what we had asked for

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by FirstTimeBuyer, 24th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

I've had my interstate IP's roof replaced. It is a shade or two lighter than what I had asked for. I know this cause the Colorbond statement came back and it's not what we had asked for. The roofer's website's colour chart is not the same as Colorbond's in name or shade. I would have expected the roofer to come back to me to confirm what I'd wanted based off Colorbond's colour chart but he did not.

It's not horrifically ugly but when we had seen photos of the roof it was really bright and we knew straight away it wasn't what we asked for.

What are my options?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Did you put the colour you want in writing?

3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Assuming they stuffed up, they aren't going to redo it. No one would at their own cost.
    Your best best it negotiate a discount, until that time, I wouldn't make any final payments.

FirstTimeBuyer likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is a bit bright then wait a year or two and it will fade!

If you chose the colour from a website, be aware that monitors show colours differently. We recently had a whirlybird fitted, chose a terracotta colour from the website. It is orange! Thankfully at the back of the house so not in view. Lesson learned !
    Marg

FirstTimeBuyer and EN710 like this.
  5. FirstTimeBuyer

FirstTimeBuyer Well-Known Member

The colour was in writing via email. Unfortunately I've already paid the final amount.

I understand that the monitor can distort the colours so I had both the roofer and Colorbond's colour chart side by side and the colour used is a shade of two lighter.

If I could negotiate a discount I would be happy with that. Any advice on the best way to approach this?

6. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I would just approach them and be honest. Express your disappointment, you can use the comparison in your defence. However it will be upto them in the end, they haven't installed a different colour. Their representation of was off, but chances are they have a disclaimer in their website as well.

Good luck!

7. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

so did you select a colorbond colour or the range from the roofers website? who is the supplier of his product?

u need to get a sample of the product you selected and compare that to what has been installed, you might find that you have received what you selected.

in future always make colour selections from physical samples and not photos, there can be quite a big difference.

also, always have it in writing (which you appear to have done) and have it checked/inspected prior to final payment.

good luck with it, potentially tricky situation

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Even colour charts are rarely accurate. We went through 4-5 sample pots before choosing an internal paint colour, the colour on the wall differed considerably from the tiny square on the chart.
    Marg

9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

With colorbond u can get actual samples of the physical product, not a print on a chart

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's difficult, because it's a bit subjective.
    Paint dries slightly different, a bit different in different light etc...

EN710 likes this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I was told a sometime ago, any colour you pick for outside will look at least a shade lighter when done because of the lights.
    And colour samples and computer are usually very different to the actual product (tried this with bricks, coloured concrete, tiles and actual paint - they are always different in person)