Roof repair gone bad, what are my options? (Vic)

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by AdamH88, 25th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AdamH88

AdamH88 New Member

Long story short had a roof leak and rushed to find someone to get it fixed asap, next day after the roof got replaced it continues to leak.

They provided a quote and asked if I wanted to pay in cash. That prob should have been the first warning sign.

The job was completed with a roof replacement, next day it started raining and the roof remains leaking. I have tried multiple attempts to get the person to come out again but multiple excuses on not attending.

After doing some research ( which I should have done prior), I realised he has not issued a complaince certificate as well..

What are my options in pursuing this? Is it better to write it off as a scam?

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Did you get a receipt? Does the quote have their details?

I’d try and work something out with them so that you are satisfied with the job and compliance.

Otherwise you may have to complain to the relevant authority.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Are they licensed? Trades dont issue compliance certs? They are obliged to do work to standards. Its basic consumer law. Seek legal advice on how to progress a claim

lizz likes this.
  4. lizz

lizz Active Member

Interested in what others have to say.

Roof leaks are very hard to diagnose. We had a very tricky leak which only occurred during a certain type of rain (ie wind direction/force). Each roof plumber we got said they can’t promise their fix would fix it….ie they can’t guarantee a fix.

each time someone came along they had a different diagnosis and fixed a different aspect. it would leak a little less. This went on for a bit, costing us $$. Then separately/ unrelated to leak we decided to replace the windows/frames upstairs. After the new windows were installed the leak seemed to disappear… but I’m a pessimist and think it will come back. Why? …because our neighbour (another townhouse on same lot) had same issue, same location. He got tired of the different opinions of why the roof was leaking so he ended up ripping up the whole section and getting it redone completely from scratch. His leak went away after that.