Roof options for our deck

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ems, 4th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

We have finally finished our deck. Hats off to the hubby - he's done an amazing job. We are struggling to decide on a roof. He wants to go retractable but I'm thinking fixed. What would you use? Any tips appreciated. IMG_20181020_170121.jpg IMG_20181020_170015.jpg IMG_20181020_190748.jpg

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That looks awesome - great size.

I hate to say it but before building the top structure you really should have decided what you wanted to use to roof it. I'm not sure that frame would suit a fixed roof as they would need a minor slope down to the end for water run off if using flat pan roofing.

Unless you mean like fixed timber cross battens and no roofing product?

If you want to use it in winter with a chiminea/firebox out there then I'd go retractable so it can be open in winter. I'd use a shadecloth and wire system to have it shaded in summer and retract for winter.

Ems likes this.
  3. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

We were thinking of the Polycarbonate sheeting

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That deck looks great!

Fixed roof over part of it? Other part left open?
    Marg

Ems likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it's going to set into the roof with battens ,then you would have to design a flashing to seal the roof section off..

BTW---that's a excellent deck..

Ems likes this.
  6. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Thanks Marg
    We were thinking half and half but thought it might look a bit odd. :D

7. Westminster

As long as there is a 3-5 degree slope away from the house in those beams then it should be doable with a flat pan polycarbonate but of course you'll need a lot more battens up there to support the sheets. From recollection a flat pan (ie trimdeck style) needs less of a slope than corrugated.

I think half and half is doable and won't look odd.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The steps set in the middle already visually divide it into two sections.

I don’t think roofing one of the sides of the steps would look odd.
    Marg

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

One of our properties has this but I’ve found it to be hot and it gets brittle with age. If I had my time over I’d use the colourbond / polystyrene combo product. (It does not need as many battens either).

10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Based on experience that’s the only roof I’d use on a deck now. Can span large distances and very importantly is COOL underneath in hot weather. Our deck roof spans over 7 metres between supports. As stated polycarbonate gets brittle over time and can look pretty ordinary as stains and discolouration progress. It can also be hot to sit under in warm weather. The only polycarbonate sheets (double sided with gap in between) on our deck roof is above the guttering which lets light in and weather proofs the deck where it meets the main house.

234CBA41-6827-412A-BBF1-B2CC0FB823A4.jpeg

FAD7DC4D-84B7-4F6E-975D-C66340889BE6.jpeg

TAJ and Propertunity like this.
  11. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Does this block out a lot more light than polycarbonate?

12. Westminster

It's solid so yes blocks out light.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Timber slats on an angle - angled for Solar access & shade/sun blocking. Needs you to research the best angle for the slats.

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2019
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

It depends on many factors. Where are other windows located in the house. You will note the polycarbonate “window” above the guttering of our house which lets in light where it would normally be darkest. Importantly in hot weather the tint required on the polycarbonate roofing to allow it cool enough under (depending on your climate) will be so strong it’ll block out most of the light anyhow.

In our warmer climate decks are not much use if you can’t use them in the hotter months when outdoor living is more popular. In our case we were prepared to put a skylight(s) in the house if it was too dark. But fortunately it wasn’t needed. Having had single sheet colourbond / polycarbonate roofing / sails in the past there was no way I would use them again. Couldn’t use the deck a lot of the time.

Given Perth is prone to hot weather I would have thought insulated deck roofing was of great importance.

My personal preference only of course. But just thought it might be helpful (or not:confused:):).

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2019
  15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Looks like a perfect spot to quaff down a few of those Craft Brews you rave about while taking in the outstanding view!
    You have a great set-up.

16. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just had best friends here for a week. Considerable time spent on the deck day and night enjoying numerous BBQs and much consumption of craft beer. And always cool during the day on the deck thanks to the insulated roof. Getting them out of the pool the rest of the time was a battle though.

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Are these still single sheet colourbond louvre’s though? If so you might fry under these in summer in Perth. And if open hello heat and perhaps sunburn unless the angle is kept adjusted in line with the sun’s path.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Slats with a retractable canvas awning

[​IMG]

Solar pergola with angled slats.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia