Roof and Guters

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by iwantahouse, 15th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Hi guys, today I have finished cleaning the guters, I just have some questions in regards to the condition of the guters and part of the roof that the builder inspection either didn't notice or didn't consider it important:

In the first picture I found out that the corner tile is broken and you can thee the timber. This is something I need to address ASAP? What can I do to fix it?

The second picture there is a broken tile, should I be worried about this?

Third picture shows the timber frame rotten.

The last picture shows that the seal between the corner tile and "normal" tile is broken and there is a hole in it. Do I need to fix it asap?

Also you can see that the guters are rusted inside, on the outside it looks good, building inspector said that painting the guters will make it last a bit longer. Did he mean painting the outside the guters? Is there something I can do to fix the rust on the inside of the guters?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I have no idea of what or how to address these issues and I'm trying to solve things myself unless it is adamant to hire a professional to do it.

Attached Files:

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The lead flashing looks ok just a few hair-line cracks..

The broken tile can be replaced just lifting the tile up and buying one the match from a re-cycle outlet or demo yard..

The one on the 90 degree bend with the weathered wood will have to re-pointed straight away..

The big worry would be as the one with old 150 quad gutter and the water damage in this section ,by the look that may been running straight in the building frame and everything below that entry point ...imho..

3. iwantahouse

Thank you @willair for your explanation.

I'm going to to the re-pointing ASAP (had to google that lol).

When you say the one with old 150 quad gutter and the water damage, are you talking about picture 3 re: green damaged timber? Do you suggest to contact a roof expert to have a look at the damage?

Just had a look outside and next to the timber roof frame is the eave, please look at the picture. Would you think water could have been coming inside anyway?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2019
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That first row of tiles is very short hence the tile which is missing.

There are others that have cracked and fallen away.

Repointing is warranted as well as replacing the cracked tiles.

The fascia has water damage but you can't replace it without taking off the section of guttering.

The timber below the broken tile has weather damage but a new tile to cover it will see out its days.

As for other maintenance, there's some surface rust in the gutters, just keep them clean and clear of leaves, they have a few years life still. A rust converter to protect the gutter may be worthwhile but generally unnecessary.

5. iwantahouse

Thanks Scott, do you know if I can keep the fascia as is until the time comes to replace the gutters?

We just moved at the end of November. Long term wise we don't know whether to knock the house down and subdivide or renovate the house. That's why we are trying to spend only in things that are necessary at the moment.