Roller shutters or crimsafe mesh on windows

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Property God, 21st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Of course, it depends on where you live. And the type of security, no one would want ugly thick steel bars.

In Brisbane's long summer days, open windows are a must, unless you want to isolate yourself in a sealed air conditioned property.

Security screens of some sort are practically essential to take advantage of breezes.
    Marg

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've inherited ugly thick bars, and we've had some beautifully designed bars added to a property that matched the headlight window pattern (simple diamonds) and painted black, they disappear completely. It all comes down to how creative you want to be. Security grills have been used for hundreds of years and some are beautiful.

We've removed all the bars and replaced them with metal louvres that look great, open up the house to airflow and make us very secure.

I've (personally) never understood the roll down shutter idea. When closed how much air can get through those teeny little gaps? It is safe, but for me, those roll down shutters to detract from the look of a house.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kat likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

A safe way to use them in fire zones is to have 12v motors for the shutters and run off a reliable 12v battery. Then have a240v trickle charge to keep them topped up. Have done a few in the blue mountains where they have strict regs on windows that are bush facing. Even did one on a large skylight on 45degree tin roof.... nightmare install!

Westminster likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mum installed manual shutters. 10 years later converted to motorised.

• The cords on manual shutters wear out and snap (eventually).
    • Roller shutter bundles should be installed hard up against the eaves soffit to prevent birds roosting on top.
    • Installing the bundles in the window recess (below the arch bar) reduces the effective size of the window.
    • Alleviates the need for additional blinds but a sheer curtain is still required for privacy
    • Ventilation can still be achieved by raising the blind to expose the ventilation slats
    • Doesn't interfere with flyscreens
    • Reduces both noise and heat transmission into the room.

Tom Rivera and bob shovel like this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

this is where the cheapies come into their own! they go for quickest and easiest root which is often rubbing against brickwork or timbers and reduces life significantly. and good luck getting them out to fix anything! they are install only. When I was installing we picked up an easy week of work fixing their defects when it was quiet

They also need the occasional hose to clear out dust from the slats, open slightly and hose. and never paint them! slats sieze, reduces friction and looks terrible.

6. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

Besides the two company that was mentioned not go with, who else should i look up to buy roller shutters. Also, do they do a decent job of keeping dust and rain out (i hate cleaning window frames/rails?