QLD Rockhampton

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by adam duckworth, 19th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

What the Adani announcement has done to CQ house market

Thoughts?? Is that total amount of jobs going to really boost the housing market that much? I think I read somewhere on PC The rates are high in northern QLD too? Cyclone/flood risks?

I personally think this could give Rockhampton a short term increase in the house prices. My 2c worth

What're your thoughts?

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

That is a fluff piece that goes into a newspaper powered by real estate adds.

Adani is not out of the woods yet...The backlash against it is real and it is a long shot to go ahead. Even after you take out all the corruption/environmental allegations there are murmurings of the company being up to its eyeballs in debt. I'm not saying it won't happen but it is HUGELY speculative.

That being said if you own in Rocky and want out you could use this momentum (if it exists) to your advantage!

For me I'd need to see a complete and balanced economy...

Basically an economy that's doing fine even if Adani does not happen.

Written by a Darwinite who's watched the market come crashing down post a big project. It's not pretty. Be careful.

adam duckworth likes this.
  3. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

yes very true and good point, i was thinking the same too, not much more than a mine creating jobs, no foundation under it.
    short term might be okay in terms of growth, but i doubt it would be a good long term investment

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Construction of Adani has not even started yet, and there is still doubt it will start at all. Even if it does, it will take some time for fifo numbers to build up. Adani may be a reason to hold on if you already own property in Rockhampton, but risky to use it as a reason to buy.
    Marg

5. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

6. Famil Man

Famil Man Well-Known Member

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

8. Famil Man

Famil Man Well-Known Member

9. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

My 2c.....for what its worth.

Adani is for the most part a done deal. All levels of government want it to happen, thelocals want it to happen. Its a handful of very noisy tree huggers that is casting doubt on the project. There has already been a number of positions filled in Townsville, Bowen and Rockhampton. Adani have already sunk a lot of time and money into this. I can't see them stopping it now.

Rocky doesn't need Adani but it does need mining to really kick on again. If coal prices continue to rise like the miners are speculating (take a look at just how many are starting up operations again.) there should be some gains to be had....I just think they will be 18 months to 2 years+ away.

Merran likes this.
  10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

For me, it doesn't feel like this at all, my two Rockhampton (Park Avenue) properties have actually been a read headache for me. I really hope this turns around, but at the same time, I'd still prefer the Adani mine not to go ahead as it would be an environmental disaster. So even if it's worse for me personally, it would be a small price to pay.

Merran likes this.
  11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Both federal and state governments are behind the project. It looks like going ahead whether or not it's economically viable. It has a lot of support in regional Qld.

Merran likes this.
  12. spludgey

Unless there's increasing Indian distaste which makes Adani withdraw, which is a (remote) possibility I haven't given up on yet.

13. myusernam

myusernam Well-Known Member

How so enviromental disaster? It strikes me as off Greenies maintain this. The land the mine is situated in is.not at all unique, sensitive or even good. We already ship heaps of coal through the GBR. The main environmental downside is it's coal and will be burnt. Well they're going to get the coal from somewhere.

14. myusernam

myusernam Well-Known Member

And you'd invest in tsv before rocky. Tsv is the FIFO hub. The head office town, and has heaps more.going for it.than rocky.

15. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Careful, dont look at this too logically
    The places where they will be using this coal to generate power are currently without electricity and they use cow dung and treated timber scrap as fuel to cook

16. MK101

MK101 Well-Known Member

17. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Sounds like Moranbah style hype and remember how that went down.

18. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

No comparison between Moranbah and rocky . Different situation .

In Moranbah , mining was the only thing . In rocky , mining was the cream .

Rocky is a reasonably large regional city with a reasonably diversified economy . Major Hospital , good schools etc ., good sporting facilities . It’s a long established community
    It’s also know as the beef capital of Australia .

It has the BIG BULL ...

It benifited from the mining boom but because it has other things it didn’t fall as hard as other places .

We bought several properties there in the previous cycle and did well on all of them

I watch it every so often , but until Brisbane booms , it’s a bit pointless in buying up there.

Cliff

HUGH72 and Jenko like this.
  19. spludgey

True, the world's largest isn't going to be an environmental disaster at all! In fact, if you ask Tony Abbott, it will be good for pristine air and water!

While bad for local air quality: Both cow dung and timber are renewable resources, whereas coal is not.
    Plus India is actually doing far better in getting more and more renewables on the ground than Australia.

Icarus likes this.
  20. Merran

Merran Member

It looks like the turnaround has started with vacancy rates decreasing, this should put pressure on rents to increase ( they have been falling the last few years ) not helped by all the new housing stock that hit the market over near the Uni. I have an older style duplex in Norman Gardens which is still positively geared and has been relatively hassle free, so will continue to sit and hold.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.