QLD Rockhampton/Yeppoon

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bon_E, 10th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. cold_chain

cold_chain New Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the OP's situation would apply in Cairns?

My partner and I will be here for at least a few years for work and thinking of buying a PPOR (our first property investment) with the idea of renting it out once we move on. Prices have moved a lot recently so wondering if we have already missed the growth...thanks

Bon_E likes this.
  2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I’d start a new thread on cairns . People with something to say RE cairns may not be looking at a thread in Rocky . I’d probably say something about cairns

cliff

3. Vino

Vino Member

Anyone bought recently in Gracemere ?

4. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Which boxes it hasn't ticked?

5. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

All I can say is make sure you get video walk through or someone to inspect the property for you.

There is one dodgy agent there atm that is selling properties and will lie to get the sale, but I feel it maybe the mantra of the agency.

First lie was - "The property has been fully repainted", that was the agents words in phone calls. To me selling that the walls and ceilings had been repainted. When inspecting the property - No - it has only had touch paint work on the walls. It was only when I physically pointed it out that the agent said it was all touched up paint to cover up the marks.

Same agent took me to another property, and tenant had only just moved out so said to don't worry about the dirtiness they need to do a bond clean - yep thats all good. But when I pointed out the movement in the rooms - the cracks in the plaster board, the movement of the skirting boards, a crack down the grout in the tiles, I was told, oh you are only noticing all these things because we haven't gone through and fixed this up, aka we haven't hidden the problem. There would of been no way you could of hidden the cracks in boards on the skirting near the roof etc, but you need to physically look at the property to get this stuff as the photos was not showing any of these details on the property.

There is also a very dodgy part of GM too. There was a builder that did like 700 houses for housing commission agents, so if you go for a drive around you will see the 'ghetto'. But tip is, if you look at properties that have sold cheap, aka less then 280K, in the past 12 months, majority of them are going to be in that area. There is also a huge dump out that way too. apparently lots of people posting up in local Facebook groups about the break ins, in this part.

Vino likes this.
  6. Vino

Vino Member

Appreciate your inputs. thanks

7. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

How does Yeppoon compare to Airlie Beach? Same vibe/feel?

9. phreeky

phreeky Active Member

Rocky is like a large country town. Yeppoon is a family friendly coastal town, fairly "sleepy" still in many ways. Airlie Beach is more touristy and more likely to have empty homes outside of holiday season.

Airlie Beach and Yeppoon typical tourist comparison:
    - The average Airlie Beach tourist is going to be either a cashed up couple on a week away with some island trips, or a footy team on a booze fest.
    - The average Yeppoon tourist will be a family on a road trip being a bit more budget conscious, looking for the beach and parks etc.

I visit both a lot btw.

Airlie Beach is on the radar of people in the southern parts of the country already, Yeppoon is not.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks...I like that aspect ie that it's not on the radar.

11. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Yeppoon is a bit sleepy, beaches average, but has a pleasant feel. Keppel island is close (and absolutely amazing). If the resort gets refurbished, it would attract more people.
    I would definitely live there but I think it's a riskier move in term of investment.

12. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Airlie Beach has better upside than Yeppoon. It’s got a whole lot more desirability and better quality stock that will drag up prices over the long term. Yeppoon has a soft underbelly with high end market.

13. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Yeppoon was on the radar a couple of decades when an upmarket resort opened , But that's closed now . Not sure on the story there .

Cliff

Frenchie likes this.
  14. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

There is a great Japanese restaurant in the abandoned resort. Quite eerie. Kind of agree that the upside is low and I don't really see Yeppoon becoming a touristy destination like Airlie in the near or medium term