QLD Rochedale south vs Bracken ridge

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Aish86, 28th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aish86

Aish86 Member

Hey All

I am looking to buy an investment property to rent out in Rochedale south or bracken ridge...Budget below 600K. Can someone please shed some light on the pros and cons of both these suburbs?

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi Aish86. Rochedale South has a strong upside, the neighbouring Rochedale is very pricey. It has a new express bus station and links to CBD are going to improve greatly with that and the M1 upgrade. I think it one of the best suburbs, the rates are lower than Brisbane rates, so costs are reasonable.

Your budget will work and you can add a granny flat in Logan Council if the block is large, access good etc.

No negatives that I know of.

I am going to let others give feedback North of City as i have a negative view of the hot badlands N of the river :) .

Tom Rivera and kierank like this.
  3. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi Ash, what would you budget be? If I had to choose out of the two I would go with Rochedale South.

kierank likes this.
  4. Aish86

Aish86 Member

Thanks! I am just worried about lots of ackerage lands available in Rochedale as when these lands get released there will be an over supply? also heard that Logan council has a very little budget for infrastructure compared to the Brisbane council..These are 2 points where I am confused if to go ahead with Rochedale South or not..

5. Aish86

Aish86 Member

Budget below 600K...Can u pls let me know what made u think Rochedale South is great?

6. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Everything in Bracken Ridge is now "Sale by Negotiation". Its a very very hot market in Northside. Prices being fetched up there is becoming a little scary to what it was not long ago. Bracken Ridge/Bald Hills area's are insanely hot right now.

I invest in both northside and southside so I love that both sides are going bonkers. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Both are solid investments.

Noobieboy likes this.
  7. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Bracken Ridge is Brisbane while Rochedale South is Logan.

May make Bracken Ridge more desirable to some.

8. boganfromlogan

If you have property in Rochedale South you get to benefit from hte Bus interchange even tho the buses are BRisbane City buses, so i think Rochedale South is positioned to benefit from the M1 upgrade (State & Fed), Buses (Brisbane) and large green waste bins (Logan City :) ) and maybe have the best of all worlds.

Logan City has a HUGE population so I think whoever says Brisbane City spends more is probably not giving the true story. Also Logan City owns its Water business (Logan Water) whereas in BRisbane the payers of water rates in Brisbane are subsidising infrastructure in other areas. Bet they didn't tell you that when they were bagging out Logan :) .

Finally, everyone north of the River is an alien, and everyone South is excellent :)

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I would say Bracken Ridge all the way. Close to Sandgate which means water. Which could mean more desirability as Sandgate become prohibitively expensive.No need to battle Logan stigma as well. Fairly close to University. Parks and recreation (pun intended) are a stone throw away. Make sure you check flooding!

It has been mentioned here already, Northside is hot as pancake at the moment. Have not been tracking BR, but I know Bald Hills next to it is hot hot hot.

If budget is an issue though, RS is also an option. To be honest, don’t think it’s any worse than BR as demographic goes. Has a few things going against it though: Logan stigma, nothing overly special (not next to bay suburbs etc). But on flip side it’s close to fairly pricey suburbs and closer to Gold Coast.

Unfortunately there is a lot of choice in Brisbane. So the “ripple effect” doesn’t always happen if nearby suburbs get expensive. Just take a look at Zillmere in the Northside. Stigma is a thing that can be hard to break.

fols and Clean Cookie like this.
  10. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

We are in the bracken ridge side of bald hills in a 70's house. Pricing and demand is high but there are so many uninformed lookers at opens. Hard to know how many informed buyers are on the table. There are three sections of Bracken Ridge. Avoid pockets near the Woolworths. So many local issues, public housing etc. Highest parts on the ridge are desirable for the bigger houses and views but personally it's not particularly convenient or close to anything. Miles from the station and useful busses.

Then there's the lower lying areas of varied ages of buildings. The local shops are good, clean and only minor drug/youth issues.

Bald hills has typically been cheaper due to older and smaller houses. Our particular St is 6 minutes from the station, on the major arterials within 5 minutes. Very convenient, not quiet or peaceful however. Good tradeoff when heading further and further for work. 50 minutes to the sunny coast.

The original bald hills is far more desirable, closer to the city, older houses, heaps of double blocks still around, lowest amount of serious crime of the area. Plenty in your budget.

Roachedale isnt bad either, plenty of applications for rentals at both ends. Just please maintain your place if you end up being my neighbour

Noobieboy likes this.
  11. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Unfortunately $600k won't get you into the nicest pocket of Bracken Ridge (it could only 3 months ago) which is north of Phillip st and stretches from Tomah St in the east to Lautrec/Wondaree streets in the western section. A lot of these streets are elevated to catch the cool breezes, have plenty of older homes and usually closer to St Josephs Catholic Primary School.
    There are many sections of Bracken Ridge which are far less attractive, namely 90s housing estate style areas with less stock differentiation in stock. From what I've seen Rochedale South doesn't have such a marked difference in its pockets so may have a wider selection of attractive stock which is key in this fast moving market. You may also want to consider Springwood as well.

12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Oversupply?? Unlikely! There's virtually no land (resi blocks) available now in that area... Land in most parts of Brisbane (resi blocks) are in very short supply away from the the larger development zones i.e. the back of Logan, Ipswich and far Northern Suburbs.

Can't go far wrong in Rochedale South.

Tom Rivera and boganfromlogan like this.
  13. boganfromlogan

I a
    I don't agree with this sentiment. In my mind it is a case of no real first principles reason to have lower prices, just some brain farts in some brains that hark back to what ppl say to one another. Property is about location - location is great and prices are low that means OPPORTUNITY. We have seen it all before .... Redfern, the Valley, no need to go on.

Part of gain is buying BEFORE the pack not following. Anyone outside Bris who doesn't stigmatise should not be put off. Ppl in Bris who DO stigmatise should stop (Casual Loganism should be stamped out).

LOVE Logan!!

Sunnyday, Noobieboy and George Smiley like this.
  14. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Is there any discernable interest in Rochedale South with the Asian demographic? It is ofcourse completely different to Rochedale next door so I don't assume so.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2021
  15. boganfromlogan

Rochedale South seems to be a mix, diverse. To me it just looks like a commuter suburb :) with lots of things nearby.

16. thunderstrike888

Wow

These types of basic 3 bedders in Bracken Ridge selling for $600k+?

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-bracken+ridge-135903150

I bought a house that looks twice as good internally + larger land size for $415k back in mid 2017. If the above house is $600k I'll get $650k I think. Hmmmm 50%+ increase now it seems.

Similar with Bald Hills/Petrie and the entire northern Brisbane pricing absolute Bonkers. Very very good capital gains happening at the moment.

Congrats to all you Brisbane holders - we are finally getting rewarded for our patience.

Rambo likes this.
  17. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Makes what we overpaid for in February seem like a better deal!

She's crazy, sold a near new 4/2/2 in Bridgeman downs last month for $620k, yet thinks this will do the same? I have no doubt that block could be worth that, with that house but you'd need to do a hefty Reno to do it. That particular pocket isn't bad but it isn't in the desirable area of BR on the hill. $520-540k is realistic given what I've seen on the ground.

18. Aish86

Aish86 Member

When I checked in google maps satellite view, I see lots of green lands around Rochedale...I am not sure if these lands will eventually result in a land release and stagnate the growth in that area.. RochedaleMaps.PNG

19. thunderstrike888

This means absolutely nothing. Not all types of land can be built on, not to mention town planners can not and will not develop all green "patches" as they have environmental constraints which limit what will be developed and what wont. If you look at satellite view in Sydney there are HEAPS and HEAPS of spare grassland as well. None of it will get developed.

On another note - I get random calls from agents all the time. Here is a snippet from an email he just sent me.

"I have completed a CMA for your investment at XXX YYYYYYY Road, Bracken Ridge. As you will notice, the properties that have sold and settled are not quite up to date with real time sales which are occurring at the moment. While the sale prices you can see sit between low-mid $500k, we have evidence that the market has since improved greatly.

For example, 29 Shane Street is a 3 bed, 1 bath on 530m2. That one was listed for offers over $499,000 and after just 1 week, 70+ open home groups and 13+ offers we had that one under contract for $580,000.

Whether your property is sitting at $600k for a low set brick we can try, but if there was ever a market to shoot for a goal like this now is the time.
    "

Agents are literally begging me to sell my Bald Hills and Bracken Ridge homes. You can quote me in 3 months time but these 2 suburbs are going to be $600k+ for every single house soon. I've had similar conversations with 3 agents on the Northside now.

Its hot hot hot up there!!!

20. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Interesting map. Three key words I see there to begin with - Brisbane Koala Bushlands. A lot of that land will never be developed and even if a small portion of it is there are people currently falling over themselves to buy houses everywhere on that map you've shown! It's prime location and would be very desirable land for resi blocks, just look at the prices for 400m blocks in Rochedale.