QLD Rochedale South - Potential to be great ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Dan.DK, 22nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan.DK

Dan.DK Member

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first property to live in Rochedale South (in LCC) and to rent it out later. But when you drive up through Rochedale (Which is in BCC) I can see lot of empty lands, and potential for development, but the prices are considerably higher. so I am assuming one the developments are up and running prices in Rochedale south will increase as well.
    What would be the negative points to not buy in Rochdale south. I`m asking because I might have a case of tunnel vision due to this being my first home.
    Thank you very much in advance guys.

gach2 likes this.
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think Rochedale South has a lot of potential, you are right, lots of greenfield development up the road, less stigma/social issues than other parts of Logan, adjacent to Springwood which LCC and SEQ regional plan are pushing to make a significant economic hub (though yet to see much evidence of this happening).

There will likely always be a price gap from Rochedale to Rochedale South. Why? Because you cross this invisible line where you leave "desirable aspirational sought after" Brisbane City Council, and you enter "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" Logan City Council. Tongue in cheek yes, but it never ceases to amaze me how important that divide must be to a lot of people.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Get a property nearer to the city or near where ever u work.

Rochedale prices are too high, and will fall or stagnate for a long while. The blocks nowadays are all tiny with double storey 4bedders built almost touching each other. And as u have noticed heaps of new stock coming on the market. There's heaps of land around the rest of rochedale as its all acreage or farmland so future supply will be there.

Since u are renting out in the future, if the yields in rochedale south are good, go for it!

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Rochedale was originally farmland and a designated green belt which meant no subdivision. We knew a family there on 20 acres who were not allowed to even split it in half. Brisbane city council.

Logan had no such restrictions, which meant suburban subdivision right up to the border at Priestdale Road. Hence the older, cheaper houses.

As always, things change. Rochedale was reasoned and now has a new town plan and the huge blocks are being subdivided into small lots. A huge windfall for existing land owners. The houses being built are large and high spec to appeal to Asian buyers who cannot find what they want in Sunnybank or Eight Mile Plains.
    Marg

Tom Rivera and KayTea like this.
  5. Dan.DK

Dan.DK Member

Thanks for all the input guys @Blueskies ,@Kangabanga @Marg4000 . I think with all the developments coming from brisbane and logan CC. Rochedale south is gonna do OK. But,since there are lots of house sales in that area. what are the chances that change of demographics gonna affect the rent-ability ?

6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

your question was about negatives of Rochedale south ..... you should ignore the stuff about 'invisible line' the privilege of BCC is not real, Ellen Grove? Forest Lake? Imagine thinking it is a privilege to be lauded over by another bureaucracy as big as a state government who charge you rates but you have to pay for water as well ........ that is a privilege we would all aspire to. Much better than skipping 30 seconds down the freeway for a cheaper and better service.

But your responders have missed the one key negative. Everybody already knows that Rochedale South is fantastic now and will be in the future. It is priced in. That is the real negative.

John_S, Tom Rivera and Dan.DK like this.
  7. Dan.DK

Dan.DK Member

Thanks for your input mate. I think you are correct about the pricing. I am experiencing that right now. people trying to sell at a larger inflated prices. I guess I will have to pick wisely.

8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Great comment! Also agree with @boganfromlogan about prices.

It's not exactly an "up and coming" area anymore, but I would expect strong demand well into the future, driving values up and bringing infrastructure to the area.

9. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Isn't there a dump nearby?

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yeah, Logan :p.

Propin likes this.
  11. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Rochedale Dump on Gardner Rd

kierank likes this.
  12. kierank