Travel & Holidays Road Trip - Help with my Itinerary (Italy, north/south)?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 30th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is getting a little difficult for me to work out. We will be in Italy for 4 weeks

We plan to hire a car, but we realise the traffic in major cities will be a nightmare, perhaps mix it with trains??

We will be starting with Northern Italy.

Looking for suggestions and how many days in each place, in the process of organising this.

AirBNB etc. do we organise this when we are in Italy just in case we want to stay longer in a particular town, apart from accommodation when we arrive.

Start with

Lake Districts - Como, Bellagio (5 days), also visiting family

On the list would be -

Dolimites (day trip) train??

Quick trip to St Mortiz (hop, skip across the border) 1 day trip (train)?

Tuscany (3 days) car

Amalfi Coast (3 days) car

Umbria (2 days) car

Would like to visit Sicily but not sure whether we can do it in 4 weeks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will just keep tweaking and working on this.

I know another thread on Italy, but this is a road trip sort of.

Dean Collins likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've no idea of Italy.

However you're better off to plan Airbnb ahead of time. There's some fantastic places if you plan ahead, crappy ones if you don't. The longer you leave it, the less available; owners may take one or two days to an accommodation request. If you haven't been in Airbnb before it will be even more difficult.

Answers may also depend on what time of year you're travelling - summer will be very busy.

MTR likes this.
  3. babyboomer1

babyboomer1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Cinque terra but it might be easier getting there by train and just spend I day and visit only a couple of the towns.

MTR likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks
    End of September

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes
    Definately add this to my list

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Cinque Terre was our favourite thing - amazing spot. We spent 5 days here hiking and eating. We were tempted to move in, it was bliss.

Observer and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Did you hire a car or train it
    I am now seriously thinking give the car a miss

First class train cheap another option

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2018
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We trained it - it was perfect. The car, and driving in Italy was by far the most terrifying thing I've ever done. I highly recommend you avoid it if humanly possible! :)

wylie and Observer like this.
  9. dodger21

dodger21 Active Member

Driving the Amalfi Coast will have you petrified at the sheer drop and lack of barriers.
    I’d spend an extra day at the Amalfi Coast and get the high speed train to Pompeii for a day as well

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lol
    You convinced me

11. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I've traveled in Italy extensively for work/holiday. I suggest a combination of train and taxi. I wouldn't want to drive in Italy at all, especially in the Southern part.

Lake Districts - Como, Bellagio (5 days), also visiting family
    Varenna was less touristy than Como itself (still nevertheless very commericial) It is on the East bank of lake como, a short boat ride to Bellagio and other places of interest on the lake.

On the list would be -

Dolimites (day trip) train?? - Never been.

Quick trip to St Mortiz (hop, skip across the border) 1 day trip (train)?

I'm not very sure how feasible this is unless you stay in Tirano which is the bordering town and take the Bernina express, but it will be at least 3,4 hours one-way if my memory was correct. The trip itself was a bit meh, not as good as the famous Glacier Express. On the other hand I do like Tirano, a very run-down town which has lots of characters. I was walking around with my partner at dusk and there is no one around. It felt very romantic, almost like in a different world.

Tuscany (3 days) car

If you are into art 3 days is not enough. As a bare minimum you need to do Piza, Sienna (my fav town in Italy) and Florence.

Amalfi Coast (3 days) car
    Public transportation (Sita bus, boat, no train on the coast apart from Salerno if I remember correctly) is enough.
    There are so many cute towns on Amalfi coast from Sorrento to Salerno. My two favourites are Positano and Ravello. Capri Island is also well worth a visit. Also if you are into history, Pompei is good.
    There is a famous three-hour hike called "sentiero degli dei" (God's path) in the Amalfi coast and it is by far the most breathtaking walk I've done anywhere in the world. (I've been to close to 60 countries.)

Umbria (2 days) car - never been.

Would like to visit Sicily but not sure whether we can do it in 4 weeks
    -Never been.

willy1111 and MTR like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks

Taxi/train, sounds good

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Bologna. So much good food! Also easy to visit Parma and surrounds as a day trip.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What...... good food in Italy:p

Observer and Scott No Mates like this.
  15. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I second Bologna, best pasta ever. It will make a good day trip from Milan.

16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Italians do drive like psychos, and nobody pays attention to the 130k limits, especially in the north, but if you can drive aggressively it's not too bad.

Went last year, drove around for a couple of weeks, mostly north - Milan, Lake Como area, Verona, Pisa, Florence, and down to Rome. To be honest, I didn't think Rome was too bad to drive around.. Then again, despite hearing much to the contrary, I didn't think LA was either (no worse than Sydney :eek:). Like Australia, if there is an accident on the motorway, expect a crawl for a while.

Most of the major motorways are toll-ways, but not too hard to get around, and not too exxy. Just make sure you get the right booth to pay cash.

Verona and surrounds is great.. If you like Opera at all a must visit. Visit Maranello and Modena if you like Ferraris.

Car has the freedom to sight see a bit more, stop where you feel like, find some quieter places, and works out pretty cheap. But make sure you check the hotels for the extra rates/facilities for parking. That can sting if you don't book accordingly.

While I did enjoy driving, caught a couple of trains later on and they are a good way to get around. If you've ever caught trains in the rest of Europe they are fairly similar. The fares can add up though.

During August when we went the beach areas were packed. September may be quieter, so you may be able to wing it a bit more with ab&b, but I'd be on the safe side and organise it before you go.

Chabs, Dean Collins and MTR like this.
  17. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yep, for sure. We discovered the most amazing place on our last day there - so painful! Would love to go back. It's pretty cheap too

MTR likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Everyone gets their holidays in August (almost compulsory nationwide). If you want any deliveries for Australian projects in Sept, they have to leave Italy before the end of July or they won't leave until Sept.

Sept is quieter everywhere as people have returned to work.

ellejay likes this.
  19. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Driving in Northern Italy is no problem at all & actually allows you to go many more places.

Having driven in/through Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic etc. I’ve never had an issue. The northern regions are so scenic & if you’re up there anyway, a quick foray into Austria or Switzerland would not be regretted.... A car gives you that option as the distances are laughable compared to Australia. Ie. I’ve actually driven to & from Venice for lunch, from another country.

Driving in the soutern Italy is a lot more hectic but so is Sydney for those of us that don’t live there.

MTR and ellejay like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats exactly why we chose to travel end of Sept
    July, Aug way too busy

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.