Risk of bidding at auction at high LVR

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jay Coffer, 31st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jay Coffer

Jay Coffer Member

Hi PC.

I have another question as you guys have been tremendously helpful so far.
    • 720k pp
    • QLD
    • 98% LVR
    • approx 70k deposit
    • Shopped around a lot to find loan at a somewhat reasonable interest rate (approx 3.4% var) - there's not a lot of high LVR loans it seems
    Lets say hypothetically, we bid at auction and win. We win the property for 720k which is our max borrow limit given our deposit size and LVR.
    We have done thorough comparison sales analysis and are quite certain this is the value of the property given similar sales/block size/location features.
    1. What are the chances a valuation will come in short? We will have no extra cash to cover the shortfall.
    2. If it does fall short, would having a guarantor help? What would the ramifications of this be for the guarantor (this could be an option for us)
    3. Would you bid at an auction given our circumstances? Why/why not?

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

There are very limited options at that LVR% so the risk is amplified over and above a normal scenario. You will need to make sure all elements of the property also meet the lender policy (not just the potential valuation shortfall issue on its own).

Given there is no contingency funds, if I were in your position and had a guarantor option available then I would fully explore this before going to auction to ensure it is a viable option.

3. Jay Coffer

Jay Coffer Member

Thanks Morgs, what would happen if the value falls short and we have a guarantor?

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Bidding at auction with a high LVR is very risky.
    I've personally never seen a valuation come in low after an auction, that's not to say it doesn't happen I just haven't seen it, generally the auction determines the value.
    It's an added risk as a buyer though, which is already risky at 98% LVR - you would certainly want to have a fully credit assessed pre-approval in place before you bid at auction to try to reduce your risk a little.
    You should use a broker for this transaction.

Definitely do as Morgs said and explore the guarantor option first, (assuming you mean security guarantee) better rates, no LMI etc.
    The risk to the Security Guarantor depends on the lender used eg. with some lenders the guarantor is only liable for the portion they provide as guarantee.

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2022
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is no way I would be bidding at auction under those circumstances.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

You would need to put together a full new application with a lender who will consider a guarantor. In my experience it'd likely be a different lender to one who would consider 98% inc LMI.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

DONT

ta
    rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Do you know what happens if it does come in short?

You could lose more than the $70k you have - a lot more!

The Y-man

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Incidentally what happens if someone wins the auction, contract says 10% deposit unconditional, and the buyer only has 3%? If the contract is actually exchanged, wouldnt the buyer be in default, and the vendor could take the lower deposit and go after them if for further costs esp if there is another sale at a lower price?

if the buyer pays the 10% but then doesnt have the cash for stamp duty, even worse?

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You'd have to arrange before the auction that if you win the bidding, your 3% deposit is acceptable.

The Y-man likes this.