Risk associated with a small development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Luca, 20th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot about trusts and asset protection. For a small development: buy house, wait 3/4 year, develop 3 THs (using a builder doing everything), hold for at least 4/5 years (maybe sell one), what are the risks pushing you towards setting up a trust? Do you really need asset protection? Who can sue you? I assume if you do a development you`ll set up an insurance as safety net. I am struggling to see the risks especially if a contract with a builder is set up correctly. I know there is the benefit of distributing the profits to the beneficiaries, however let`s assume the person doing the development has minimal income and is the person who will get 100% of the trust distributions anyway. Shouldn`t be better to develop under personal name so you get the negative gearing and save all the costs & time related to setting up and maintaining a trust? I am sure I am missing something.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia