Ring video doorbell bracket

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by chylld, 15th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

For over 2 years my poor Ring doorbell has been mounted to the wall with some scrapwood I found lying around my workshop floor. Finally got around to making something a bit nicer for it!

First step was to chop up an IKEA Applaro shelf for the 5 acacia wood slats I wanted to use for the main panel, first roughly with a handsaw then again with a fine blade on the drop saw. Bit of stain&varnish on the ends to finish it off.

ss (2019-01-15 at 11.16.19).jpg IMG_20190112_183929b.jpg

Next I joined them with some MDF pieces that also serve as mounting hardware. All exposed edges were sealed to help prevent moisture issues, although the doorbell is under cover anyway.

IMG_20190112_171129b.jpg IMG_20190112_171145b.jpg IMG_20190112_171655b.jpg IMG_20190112_174851b.jpg

The middle piece gets mounted to the wall and a bevelled edge holds the right side to the wall while the left side gets affixed using screws hidden behind the doorbell.

IMG_20190113_202435b.jpg IMG_20190113_203313b.jpg

Next step was to bond some laser-cut acrylic designs to the wood, chosen to celebrate all the modifications I'd made to our relatively small 3-bedroom house. I decided to try Loctite 5-minute epoxy, which comes with a self-mixing nozzle. I shouldn't have been surprised when the nozzle blocked up in 5 minutes...

IMG_20190113_205325b.jpg

End result!

IMG_20190114_124838b.jpg

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I rang them to whinge about the flat mount provided (its like its designed to fit ON a door facing straight ahead only ??? We dont have much in the way of jambs to mount directly ahead) WTF. and they sent me a plastic kit for free. I painted it with rendered wall paint and it matches the rendered wall and comes with the wall plugs and it was easy as. Comes with three angles pieces. I used two. So it now looks across the doorway and not just ahead.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then I had issues with wifi drop outs despite great close signals. They diagnosed need for a additional sender unit to make signal stronger and sent that free too. The version of doorbell we had was prone to weak signal reception and needed a boosted signal to stop it switching networks (we have three)

Ring support (in Nevada) very good and they warehouse drop out of a Sydney store so its quick response. And they gave me 2 years of cloud store for videos :)

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

We were lucky to have a wall perpendicular to the entry, on which the old intercom doorbell was mounted. I think my Ring's view would be slightly better with 1x downward wedge and 1x sideways wedge (apparently you can combine them) but they come in sets of 3 and are disproportionately expensive. Never got around to 3D printing one instead as the view is ok.

Also had signal issues with mine, despite a Unifi enterprise access point being on the other side of the front door. Video didn't work at first, but an automatic firmware update fixed it; works perfectly now.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That is bloody awesome!
    Great work!

chylld likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very nice!

chylld likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Cheap 3D prints : "ring doorbell" 3D Models to Print - yeggi

7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I think I'm just really over the look of 3D printed parts. After going through a phase of designing something every week and printing something almost every night, the visual imperfections began to stand out to me more than the novelty/utility factor. Tried to stave this off by having parts printed by Shapeways in a variety of plastics/metals, but ultimately I can only appreciate it as a prototyping system and cannot stand to see printed parts in use in everyday life.

Sorry for the rant :p

8. Paul@PAS

I buy 3D parts for action camera adapters. eg a 3 axis gymbal mount and mounting adapters eg backpack attachment, paraglider chestmount etc. It makes a good camera better.

I accept them as unique parts that add function where the manufacturer has limits. Some are better quality than others and I suspect cheap printers = that grainy finish where some do good smooth plastics that minimise plastic. Others are thick horrid products and often dont look like their photo on shapeways.

I wish I had $1 from everytime I have been asked - where can I buy that !

A : Danydanfree in France !!

9. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I designed a super simple GoPro mount several years ago at a friend's request, uploaded it to Thingiverse :p Agree that sometimes you just want a shape to perform a function.

ss (2019-02-12 at 11.24.23).jpg