Ridiculous reviews

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by jodes, 29th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

We just got our first 4 star review for our Prahran airbnb (despite getting 5 stars in every category!) I realise 4 stars is still pretty decent but airbnb does slap you on the wrist (and can even cancel your listing) if you average 4 stars- so we are keen to get as many 5 stars as we can. For that reason, we always write to guests who give us less than 5 star reviews to seek any feedback so we can improve our listing- especially as we are in a different city, it's a way for us to identify issues we might otherwise miss as we don't see the property very often.

So anyway, our guest wrote back to our (friendly inquiring) message with the following reason:

... we ended up buying baking paper, glad wrap and olive oil from Coles. I think some foil and maybe a dish rack would’ve been helpful as well" (FYI, we have a dish rack)

Would you mark someone down for not having baking paper and glad wrap (i've personally never stayed in a hotel or SC apartment that has any of these)... and do any other fellow hosts have funny reasons guests have given for not giving 5 stars?

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

You probably got off lightly, Jodes. Anybody that would mark you down for not having those things would have really slapped you if there had been anything really amiss.
    I can confirm my two places do not (and will not) have baking paper and may not have glad wrap.

Chrispy and JacM like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We gave five stars for our recent stay, even though we bought two waffle blankets for the bed (which we brought home with us). I didn't need to buy two, but wanted to, but we did go looking for just one.

We did let the owner know that it wasn't for warmth as we had air-con if we wanted it, but more because when one of us rolled over, the doona rolled with us, leaving the non-roller uncovered.

The owner may or may not add a light cover or blanket into the cupboard that solves this issue, or risk someone actually marking them down for it. I would never have done that as it comes down to personal preferences.

I don't know if there was glad wrap there. I'd think it could be something people would use as we often eat a bigger lunch and on nights we didn't want to stay out, or head back out into the cold, we would buy cheese, salami, olives, bread, beer etc for a light "in house" dinner, but still didn't go looking for, or needing, glad wrap. I'd certainly not expect baking paper.

People can be so picky. And I'm surprised that averaging four stars isn't good enough for AirBNB.

4. Natascha

Natascha Active Member

I have noticed that quite a number of places now provide glad wrap, baking paper and aluminium foil I think it’s nice but not a reason for marking down. I left a place today that didn’t have a potato peeler (and none of the above) the peeler annoyed me and I left a friendly note for the owner but wouldn’t mark down for that.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You could have used the glad wrap to keep the doona on the bed?

Chrispy and Nattl3s like this.
  6. wylie

I also wonder if AirBNB owners are getting greedy. I chose our Melbourne place for good transport, close to trams etc. I've just compared ten nights in an AirBNB Melbourne with Booking.com for Melbourne.

We could have stayed in a nice hotel for less than we paid for the AirBNB.

I didn't look at hotels this time, thinking we would pay more, but I now find this isn't the case. Our room was no bigger than a room in a decent hotel and I'm wondering if AirBNB hosts might be pricing themselves out of the market?

We had a kitchenette, but didn't cook. When we had a big day and decided to eat in, we still didn't cook, but bought deli items so we didn't need to "pay" for the kitchenette we didn't use.

Redwing and JacM like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It will self-right... if there are no bookings coming through, owners will drop their prices or stop short term letting altogether. But while the bookings are coming through, there is no need to discount the rates. But you need good reviews to attract the guests, hence good reviews are all important.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Nope.

Like every industry though - there are just some people that can never be pleased.

It's frustrating - but don't let it get to you. Onto the next guest!

Cheers

Jamie

D.T. and Gockie like this.
  9. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Depreciator a very good point! She was also the only one (out of 10+ guests who couldn’t follow our very comprehensive check in instructions) so lucky she didn’t mark us down for that!
    @wylie we charge $95- $130ish a night for a 1 bedroom apartment in Prahran that can sleep up to 4 and $130-$160ish a night for a 2 bedroom apartment in St Kilda that can sleep up to 6- both have full size kitchens, renovations etc and at those prices are probably cheaper than a backpackers! :)

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We used Air BnB in Hawaii. There was no kettle! I found that annoying. There wasn't any other 'goodies' provided either, which I don't really care about. I just looked at it as a "USA thing".

When we've stayed in Australia, I don't really recall there being baking paper, foil, or any other items like that. There's usually coffee, tea & biscuits. Sometimes some lollies. I wish there wasn't biscuits & lollies!

11. wylie

I guess it comes down to personal preference of the type of accommodation you are seeking, and how many people wanting to stay. We wanted something close, just for two, handy to trams etc. I was happy with our AirBNB.

We got dropped by the airport shuttle at a lovely old hotel, and I googled to see how much it would have cost us to stay there (near Princess Theatre - great location). I was shocked to find out we were paying the same in our AirBNB. It made me think people are pricing their AirBNBs the same as hotels, and each has its pros and cons.

For us, one couple just needing one bed, I now wish we'd chosen the hotel. But we were happy with our pick.

Backpacker cost is $23 - $60 (just a quick google) so it doesn't compare with AirBNB or hotels (unless you are talking price for six backpackers compared to a family of six in an AirBNB)?

I would still look at AirBNB for another trip, and in Paris and New York we chose AirBNB because we could stay in a very central location for half the price of an hotel.

This just wasn't true for Melbourne, unless we chose fleapits.

12. Gockie

Hi Skater, now this is odd. Did you ask the host for one (a kettle)? I would think most hosts would oblige and happily provide one if asked, unless it was against the law.

13. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I think there are guests who are not familiar with Airbnb's system and thinks 4 star is a good rating (but in fact it is not.)
    Our very second guest, left me 5 stars in every single category but an overall 4 star. I don't think she wasn't happy about anything, as she left me a long private message thanking me. I think she is just not the type of person who gives 5 stars.
    I once stayed in a four star hotel in Italy that doesn't have a kettle (and charges me 3 euros for a cup of hot water), and a three star hotel in Switzerland that doesn't have a kettle. Maybe it is an European thing? People who don't normally drink tea doesn't think a kettle is a necessity?

14. Gockie

Bizarre that someone would give 5 stars in every category but 4 stars overall. Maybe they want to bring the property down?

15. Ouchmyknees

I highly doubt it, it is her first Airbnb experience. She probably just think 4 star is good enough.

16. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we had in this instance, and the worst one was our first guest for our St Kilda airbnb- 5 stars in every category and THREE stars overall !! (There was a party on one of the nights they were there and they weren't happy... not much we could do about that..)

17. Ouchmyknees

@jodes @Gockie What do you think is the best way to proactively manage this risk of guests who are not familiar with the system and give less than 5 stars? (rather than guests who are genuinely not happy) Do you screen your guests?

Meisterin likes this.
  18. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees I've read about people who write in their welcome book or tell guests when they are checking in about how the airbnb rating system works but I don't want to be that "forward" and we don't meet most of our guests in person anyway. I don't think there is much you can do other than try and offer your guests the best possible experience and not dwell too much when you have someone that gives you a lower score for something out of your control (don't get me started on the "location" rating....

Ouchmyknees and wylie like this.
  19. Gockie

I'm not sure there is a way... I'd ideally get in touch with the guests after their first night to check if they are happy or have any questions (most of the time I get "oh, love your place" type comments). Not sure how to control star ratings people give but reach out and ask them if there is anything you can do to make their stay more comfortable so then you have a chance to fix them upfront.
    Also if I do the clean and find everything is good, I'd tell them words along the lines via Airbnb, "Everything is great and thank you for staying and taking such good care of the place!" Then write a review. Hopefully they will reciprocate with kind words and a good review on their end too. :)

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2017
    Ouchmyknees likes this.
  20. Ouchmyknees

I wouldn't do that either, I don't want to give my guests the impression that I'm "begging" for a 5 star.