House & Home Ride on mowers

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dabbler, 26th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi All,

What do you have to say or suggest about ride on mowers for

1acre
    5acre
    10acre

I guess in honesty, you would only be cutting an acre, if you had 10 your probably slashing or using livestock.

Any brands or must haves....

I am thinking a 38+ inch deck would be min.....

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

For your own property (minimal use) or a business?

Depends what and how much your cutting, what kind of finish you want.

Do you want it to do more than just cutting/slashing?
    I.e. catch, mulch, perhaps a multi-use for moving stuff around etc.

What's your budget?

3. dabbler

Not for business, but may use it on IPs as well and may use it to drag box trailer/s around a few times a week.

Finish is just a cut finish and as a quasi slasher for light slashing.

I think mulch maybe, but I assume I could do a forward and reverse in these places, or get out th e push mower cot catching.

Budget, free is nice, but I guess 3k ish, otherwise maybe a cheap tractor is better ?

4. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I bought a craftsman lt1500 for $2200 brand new definitely a cheapy, but it has a briggs and stratton 17hp and a 42" cut deck. It has copped a flogging the past year and is still treating me good. Even slashed a 2 acre paddock which was around waist height when I started. but mainly used for our 1 acre verge out the front and 500sqm lawn which it does nicely.

One thing I would really have prefered though is a hydrostatic drive, the 6-speed clutch/brake combo is a pain in the arse sometimes

Theres definitly some good deals in the second hand market for these things though and if you can be bothered chasing the gumtree deals you will do well for yourself. I kept missing them by a few hours due to work.

We have a couple 5 acre paddocks either side which I just throw the neighbour a few $$$ to flail mow in his nice air cond tractor

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I have a John Deere.

Cruise control and stubble holder are the best features :) :).

6. jim1964

jim1964 1941

ride on.PNG This handles our 10 with ease.

7. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I use a Toro Z Master with catcher for work...but it's 23k so bit over budget.

Also have used a John Deere ride on 100 series I think. Good on flatter ground but lacked power for hills.

The Husqvarna looks the goods for the money. I would definitely look for a zero turn mower if you have trees/gardens to go around. Makes a much quicker job. Keep an eye out for used as I've seen some great deals for stuff that is only a few years old and low hours.

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I'd go second hand for now, something you won't lose too much coin on with on-sell, try it out, see what it does & doesn't do for your situation/s, if it doesn't cut it, think something else would be more suitable, something with PTO etc, upgrade;
    John Deere sabre ride on mower | Lawn Mowers | Gumtree Australia Camden Area - Catherine Field | 1150772922
    Husqvarna YTH2042 Ride On Mower | Lawn Mowers | Gumtree Australia Lake Macquarie Area - Cameron Park | 1152062079
    Ride on mower john deere $2500 | Lawn Mowers | Gumtree Australia Gosford Area - Niagara Park | 1151795881

Great for around the house (& IP's) but front end may struggle with turns in the paddock if boggy ground etc, in which case perhaps a 4x4 would be better ($), but then perhaps less suitable for IP's.

That's usually the best way to go, get to know an old bloke who lives nearby with his old tractor, prob do it for a carton, he gets time away from his Mrs ;)

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have a Greenfield 20hp, its very good at long grass slashing, and has a rear diff lock for hilly terrain

10. dabbler

Thanks all for the responses.....very helpful.

With all these can you put a normal 50mm ball on them to drag a normal trailer around ?

Obviously prob the 17/20hp would be better if doing this, but I do not see the trailer being loaded up much.

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would expect that most/all ride-ons aren't built for this. Probably do your clutch or gear-box in.

I bought a (mainly plastic and light) mower trailer and tow behind my mower.

12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

One of those I listed comes with a trailer

13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have two light weight trailers for mower use... wouldnt hook up a normal trailer

14. dabbler

I am pretty sure I saw one with a ball, I want to use it to drag my trailer from shed to elsewhere & a tool trailer I will get, they would be empty, so prob only a couple of hundred kg at most on flat area, the advertised trailers have a 200+kg rating

Otherwise I can easily get a dedicated small vehicle for this, or a quad, or make it so my existing vehicles have no drama, maybe that is best, do some concreting etc....

15. dabbler

It might have been a quad I saw.....I would say my box trailer is about 150-200 od

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yeah quads are far more powerful and can tow larger trailers

17. dabbler

Yeah, good point, no point wearing out of breaking it if can't do it with ease.....an excuse to build a larger industrial ? ;)

The Husky I guess, I saw the other one, but even with my lack of knowlege it is probably too cheap looking, I also read they are not really a JD but a cheap Chinese meant to compete in large chains in US....

Husky or Rover are the ones that seem to keep popping up

18. dabbler

Maybe I need an excuse for one of them too.....we have a few in the family, maybe another thread later, will wait and see if needed first, it is pretty small block where main use will be...

19. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Trailer rides at @dabbler 's pad. Yehaaaaww.

46" zero turn is what you want mate. Hustler or Cub Cadet, 5k or so.

20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Stick to well known and widely distributed brands (for spare parts in the future).

Go for the largest deck you can (for fewer passes), and also the strongest motor so it doesn't have to work as hard.

Only get 4-stroke engines too.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia