Rich people think about money… too much??

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 2nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Do we ask people at the gym or eating healthy: you are already fit, why keep doing it?

Or ask someone with good relationships with friends and family: why keep working at it?

Or ask an artist or musician or chef or carpenter or sportsperson or builder or scholar or teacher..... you are already good, why keep practicing and learning?

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2022
    Emilyemily, Coffee, MTR and 2 others like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its not my POV

I was quoting an article for discussion, refer to link in post 1.

3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

No, I do not think it is “spot on” as in my view the frame of reference is wrong. The underlying premise is constrained by linear thinking.

Ok… you were quoting an article for discussion… which you then claimed was spot on. (Quoted above to make sure it is not perceived that I don’t understand the topic…) I am trying to proffer a completely different way to frame the issue so that “the train is hard to stop” no more…

Allow me to rephrase then - Perhaps the question is wrong (both in the article & in endorsement of it). Perhaps “people” should consider this issue like they do health or fitness. Not as destination, goal or pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but rather as an ideal & something that is continually strived for regardless of one’s individual level….

This isn’t a destination topic like so many treat it as…. Western thinking is so linear & constrained. Even when trying to debate an alternate frame of reference, out of the box thinking is too often shot down in flames…. Metaphorical food for thought.

codeninja, Momentum and kierank like this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Surprise -- The Healthy and Fit Don't Stop Worrying About Diet and Exercise Just Because They're Healthy and Fit

Surprise -- Wimbledon Champions Don't Stop Worrying About Practice Just Because They Won Wimbledon

Surprise -- Charities Don't Stop Worrying About Fundraising Just Because They're Helping People

These might be from the Onion.

Thinking about something is different from worrying about it. If you consider money to be a distasteful topic anyway, there's no positive way to think about it. But it's also disingenuous to be an investor, enjoy it, and turn around and say 'well, I think money is distasteful'.

iloveqld, wylie, MTR and 3 others like this.
  5. Indifference

This is essentially exactly what I’m also trying to proffer…

Don’t hate the player, hate the game… so they say. I consider the general western perception of money to be unhealthy to the point of obsession. There are far more meaningful things in life however I do concede that money does make many of them far far easier or obtainable.

wylie and kierank like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

….. except for the human tendency that more is better.

7. Indifference

For most people, yes this is their thought process…… Ever heard the phrase “less is more”…?

It is a rarely understood concept that has little to do with intellect & much to do with cognitive entrenchment. I know, I know… rather deep & philosophical…

wylie and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

……‘less is more’ does not work too well on a property forum

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Haha, exactly. I have that some conversation with Hubby when he says 'Don't worry about it' and I reply that I'm not at all worried. Whatever it is, isn't keeping me up at night, but that doesn't mean that it's not something that needs to be discussed.

wylie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Indifference I understand where you are coming from. I have spent a lot of time pondering different philosophies of men and women much wiser than myself. When you come right down to it, what many people are actually yearning for and the path they think will get them there .... is often a path taking them away from where they really want to go, at differing levels. Some moderately off, others way off. Most people eventually come to a place where they dont know what else to do but just be as they are. Living their lives as content as possible. We all are to an extent. No matter how 'enlightened' we think we are.

Some time ago I decided enough was enough. I wanted to have more time with my family and be taken away from them as little as possible. That was meaningful to me. And my family. So I automated most of the tasks which took my time and energy (paid more in money which is fine) and kept the tasks we could enjoy as a family. We have more than enough to live meaningful lives. Our meaning comes from each other, our families and our faith. We are indeed blessed. There is no more reason to spend hours away from my most precious ones chasing more $$.

One of my best friends died (at 37) a few years ago leaving 2 kids, a husband and other family. While in hospital she wrote a poem on time.

Time
    you are my best friend
    You are my worst enemy
    You give me the greatest joy,
    and the deepest sorrow
    You heal with your passing
    and you torture with your unknowing
    You have allowed for a million happy memories
    yet you will inevitably let them fade away into the night
    How I wish for just a little more
    A year... a month... a week....please dont close the door
    I fear the angel is beckoning my end..
    If only... I had just a little more time to spend.

She died 2 days later.

Lauren350, Emilyemily, Big A and 6 others like this.
  11. Indifference

This is one of the most profound, enlightening & brutally honest posts I have ever had the privilege to read here… thank you for sharing.

Emilyemily, Sackie and kierank like this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You talking about debt?

Momentum likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this.

… always Family first:)

14. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Yes he has done well but he's not on here every day making thousands of posts because he's busy enjoying life

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Jan, 2022
  15. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I remember reading a post from someone on Somersoft.... was along the lines of "A healthy man has a thousand wishes, a sick man only one". Your story resonates with me, when you strip it down to the basics, good health is true wealth.

I am unashamedly obsessed with money (was from a young age coming from zero), and I work harder than most would ever want to but ultimately believe in family first and looking after oneself factors into that.

Big A and Sackie like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not the reason at all.

Forum has changed, we will leave at that

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Jan, 2022
  17. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

That's just not true. "Less is more" applies to property too: OTP for example. You get less for more money.

skater and kierank like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

bump again

??
    Talking net worth on a property forum not OTP, whatever this means??

19. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Thought banks in Australia was quoted as saying unofficially in Australia they defined 25mil worth of Assets as wealthy/rich? Or does one also look at income as well? If the latter many would be hitting the top tax bracket mark but not necessarily asset rich.

Do people really genuinely stay like humble even after they become rich or does money eventually get them at some point and they lose their true selves without realising? The supposedly rich people I know are still smart about money not your penny pincher types but just not the types that would splash out on some 10k branded handbag or whatever. It's funny that the ones I know that are wealthy but filthy rich who buy the Mercs, LV bags, Rolex watches and the like who assume the really rich buy these sorts of things. We had a colleague who worked in the Finance dept of LV once tell us their market is actually targeted at the "I want to look rich" types? LOL.

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2022
    Piston_Broke and Antoni0 like this.
  20. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

The yanks worked this out after the great depression ended, they built upmarket condominiums for the middle class to holiday in so that people felt rich or felt that they knew how the rich lived. They spent thousands on holidaying for a few weeks a year of their lives.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia