Rich kids

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 4th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

True. But does it mean one needs to water down their life so as not to cause jealously in others? I'm not talking about overly flaunting . Just living your life, as you are blessed to live.

It seems , dare I say unfair to an extent. You did nothing wrong, and yet if you enjoy your fruits too much, you'll get judged.

Then I also think, as long as the kids work hard and act responsibly, should they even care if other insecure folks judge them?

Don't know. Still pondering all this.

Big A likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree completely.

But on the other side of that, networks from schools make a difference. Sometimes big. really didn't used to think so at all. Very naive I was.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I meant as in "giving back" rather than "living the life"

Sackie likes this.
  4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Wait until they are teenagers and started getting their P licence. If they are 30 minutes late arriving home, the anxiety and worries. Have fun... Been there...

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It never stops though:)

spoon likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah not looking forward to it.

And boyfriends.............

Always reminds me of this clip. Love it.

Last edited: 4th May, 2021
  7. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Why not, there are some lovely rural properties there. Nothing says we are a “down to earth family” like a $20M+ cattle station spread over a few hundred thousands acres. ;)

Sackie likes this.
  8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Definitely. If you’re rich, your kids will be surrounded by similar circles i.e., assuming you’ll send them to private schools. Probably should ensure they don’t live in a bubble- if they play sports etc, they will likely play kids from less affluent areas and will have some exposure (my rich mentor often told his private school educated kids that they need to learn some mental toughness from the kids out in the West). Also, if they go to uni, they will be surrounded by people from all walks of life as we don’t have the Ivy League/private universities system like the US. I’m sure you’ll take them traveling as well. I think third world countries are a great place to start, your kids will get an education just by seeing how those less fortunate live.

Lastly, the rich people I know, especially those with businesses have their kids come in and work (and often doing crappy jobs).
    I think as a parent, you need to make sure you don’t give them everything, make sure good behavior is rewarded, but equally, make sure bad behavior isn’t.

I don’t think you’ll ever rid those who are judgmental against wealth. But that’s their problem, not yours.

Stoffo, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  9. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Regarding Private Schools, in WA at least, there are still students who have both parents working to pay the School fees.

I find kids being kids, choose friends who they like to hang out with, with whom they have things in common.

For me, people who flaunt their wealth in an obnoxious way are, well obnoxious.

Get to know your child’s friends and their family. If your child is grounded, down to Earth, she’ll be OK.

wylie likes this.
  10. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I have a niece, just graduated with a Law degree. Met a boyfriend and fell in love, truly, madly and deeply. Told her Mom: I am moving out and living with my boyfriend. I am not seeking your consent but out of courtesy just informing you. :confused:

11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I have paid the deposit for Christchurch Grammar but eventually used the money to buy in the Applecross Senior High catchment area. I think I have made a right decision :D

Last edited: 4th May, 2021
    MTR likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You have
    I can this from experience

thatbum likes this.
  13. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

As a kid I was invited to friends yacht, never realised at the time was their idea of charity...o_O

14. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

They always have for thousands of years, why would now be any different.
    You can read about it in ancient Greek and Roman texts.
    Marcus Aurelius is a good read.

15. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

I think for many the resentment is not against those who inherit wealth, but those who got wealthy because govt policy over the past 20 years has engineered massive housing inflation that has now shut off a housing lifestyle easily available only 10+ years ago. I feel there is real justification for this viewpoint even though i am not one of the shut out.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That kind of thinking is massively, massively flawed imho. On so many levels. Unfortunately I do believe that many entitled, underachievers out there use that line of thinking as an excuse to justify their resentment and contempt. It's complete rubbish, imo.

17. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Every time there is a "crisis" the govt and rba bring in measures that turbo charge the housing market enriching owners via higher debt incurred by new entrants. Given its a govt sponsored nightmare, people have a right to be peed off imho.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If wealthy parents want to give their children a proper well-rounded education, send the children to a regular government school. Sorry, I know that would be painful. However it's one way to get to broaden their experiences of life beyond life at home. I guess any students attending a state school within Sydney's East will still be wealthy, but it may remove some of the elite school obnoxiousness. On the other hand, i have no first hand experience with Sydney obnoxiousness. I'm really thinking about families in my own local area whose wealth or living standards covers quite a broad range. A typical classroom here is made up of Asian, Indian and caucasian children, whose parents could be engineers, professionals, business owners, managers, doctors, tradies, nurses, chronically ill, single parents and sometimes in jail.

Marg4000 and Firefly99 like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was happy to send our daughter to a regular government high school. Until two things.

1. Most of the teachers didn't care about teaching (with one very notable exception).
    2. In year 7, she was assaulted. A group of boys surrounded two girls, and put their hands down their knickers. They were year 5 primary.

We tried the next year at the Catholic school. While I have no problem with the teaching of religion, this was very heavy handed, with a really strong emphasis on a lot of implied previous education which she didn't have. The teachers had a hatred towards our town as well.

The next year was private school, with my wife working full time just to pay school fees for both.

Last edited by a moderator: 5th May, 2021
    wylie, Sackie and Lizzie like this.