Rich kids

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 4th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Given that the gap between the have and have nots is greatly widening;

Do you think rich kids growing up will be resented by other folks in society who have less? Assuming the kid is not spoilt or a brat and well mannered but obviously comes from money.

Just wondering how society will view/treat these kids/young adults as they grow up. Or will they be viewed/treated the same as everyone else? It would be nice to believe that as long as they stay grounded, work hard and remain good people, they won't attract a target to their backs. But I'm not so sure that'll be the case.

Any views?

2. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

So long as you first sentence remains true, there will be class warfare.

It's the Achilles heel of unconstrained capitalism.

datto and The Falcon like this.
  3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I think it’s like this now anyway.

Rugrat likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Unless they (or their family) flaunt their wealth or become obnoxious, most won’t know their financial situation.

qak, David_SYD, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Yep, and in my view, it’s driven by jealousy.

I’m not rich by any means (grew up in western Sydney), but growing up and even now, I hear comments from my friends who were less fortunate about how much my parents helped me. The hard work I’ve put in often gets dismissed.

skater, Sackie, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree, though when friends come over, you can't exactly move to muttaburra qld..

Flaunt it, definitely not. But certain things can't be hidden.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I hang out with people from all walks of life and I've never really noticed it as a thing.

Propin and Lizzie like this.
  8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

You only have to read the comments people leave about others success stories to see the resentment. ‘But so and so couldn’t have done that if their parents didn’t help etc etc’. Unless someone is falsy claiming to have done something without help when they did get help then so what? Yes it might have been easier for them but does that mean we can’t be happy about their success? I do get an extra fuzzy feeling reading about those who have overcome adversity to achieve something amazing but that shouldnt take away from people who didn’t come from a poor background. For jaded and jealous people it does though. And we have many such people here in Australia.

Last edited: 4th May, 2021
    Sackie likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It could also depend on the school they attend from start to finish and the networks of people they stay connected with and what their parents were like..
    All you need to look rich is a credit card ..

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've never given it a second thought tbh until recently when a comment was made. Totally took me by surprise.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've heard it so many times. How lucky this person or that person is. Totally dismissing/ minimising their efforts.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Schools with peers of similar financial backgrounds definitely may reduce some of the jealousy. But then the snobbery can be an issue.

Shazz@ and wylie like this.
  13. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I know 2 kids, not necessarily rich in today's standard, both have a property under their name when they turned 21 - fully paid off. The parents ensure the kids do their tenant and property management. But the kids drive second hand cars and buy their stuff from K-marts (good quality ones). Only buy stuff they need during discount periods.

Most importantly, never talk/brag about they owned properties.

KateSydney and Barcelona like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sounds like they have a good upbringing.

KateSydney likes this.
  15. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Usually any negative comments about someone being well off come from the fact that the person has already displayed other reasons not to like them.

Otherwise I generally work in the community service sector, and some of the people that work in the same area as me are very well off. But you couldn't really tell at all from looking or talking to them.

Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  16. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I think they have parents who have seen how things have panned out for spoilt kids. It harmed the kids and then the parents, eventually the society.

Sackie likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is the case for some. I've met those obnoxious folks too. But not always the case.

Just hope as time progresses in society, unwarranted resentfulness doesn't rear its ugly head...

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know what most of my friends are worth - and those I do, it's only a "round about".

Some own multiple properties and overseas holiday every year yet work in a homeless shelter and drives for meals on wheels - some own no properties and holiday overseas every year but work several days with disadvantaged kids - some own shares - some don't - some live in very modest homes, own a dozen ips and give a small fortune to charity and volunteer with landcare - some live in mansions and own nothing else but volunteer at several worthy institutions like marine rescue and surf lifesaving ... some can drop $100 on a bottle of wine, some are struggling to buy the weekly groceries ... but they are all morally and ethically wonderfully people who often discuss investments but don't discuss dollars (otherwise they wouldn't be my friends).

I guess it doesn't come down to the wealth - but rather what one does with the time money buys - or the money time buys. All without blowing the trumpet.

AxeLy, KateSydney, Propin and 3 others like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yea so important. I think upbringing is vital. Doesn't matter rich or not, I think being able to raise well adjusted, good mannered kids is key. Hopefully it'll be enough to keep them on a good path in life.

It's quite worrying at times though. Once you have a child all these anxieties can creep into your head.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Then they lead a sheltered life. If everyone around them is 'well off', then they will not be exposed to the norms of society let alone the extremes.

Lil No Mates have both visited the areas where I manage properties & can see the differences even between different streets, spot a houso at 100 paces or how some try to keep up with the Jones's.

Their schools run social justice programmes, immersions etc so they can get a handle on the differences in equity.

School selection was based on diversity not conformity or educational results.

The Falcon, KateSydney, wylie and 3 others like this.