Rezoning

Discussion in 'Development' started by bangL, 4th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bangL

bangL Member

my property is R20. Just received s letter from shire that there is plan to change to R20/R35 soon.

What did it mean to me as my block is 654sqm.
    Can I subdivide to 2 lots?

Thank you

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

3. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes, council duty planner is the first stop.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Is this in WA?

If so, it probably means very little because its just a plan - it might not happen at all.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It probably means that your land tax may go through the roof.

6. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Well-Known Member Business Member

If this in WA, then there may be scope to subdivide into 2 lots - at R35 it would require an average of 260m2 per lot (with a minimum lot size of 220m2), for example your total lot size is 654 you could have one lot at the minimum 220m2 and the other lot at 434m2. This helps if there is opportunity to retain an existing home and build at the back etc.

Usually the rezoning process takes quite a while to be passed through if this is just in draft (I would say seeking public comment if you received a notification). You won't be able to subdivide until the Town Planning Scheme is gazetted by the WAPC which could take years!

With a dual density code R20/R35 - you will also need to check whether your site is suitable to develop at the higher code as this often means there are restrictions placed on developing by the Local council at the higher code - eg you may not be able to develop at R35 unless your total block is 1000m2 or if you have a 20m frontage, etc (this is dependent on council's own policies etc).

Hopefully this information helps, your council will be able to answer any questions and explain the proposed density increase to you specific to your lot.

theperthurbanist and SamK like this.