Reverse Mortgage?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by firsttime, 21st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. firsttime

firsttime Member

Hi everyone,

Following on from my previous thread of how I can assist my child (cash) from an IP that I have. Basically no way I can give her access to the deeds to borrow against without me being involved in the company she is setting up. also that has ramifications with my pension and declaring etc, etc. As most institutions said it will not pass the "Today Tonight test".

One option though is a reverse mortgage, even though it's not the LVR of 80% that a business loan is, the amount can assist her.

My question is, can the reverse mortgage be cancelled when her business picks up?

Any implications with Centrelink if I give her the money for me?

thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you use a reverse mortgage you would be borrowing and lending her or the company money. If she pays you back the loan could be paid out and the mortgage discharged.

Yes centrelink implications

3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

You will find that you don't meet the loan purpose requirements unless you're going to lie to the bank.
    The funds are meant to be for personal use for you, not to be on lent to family.
    You will also likely need to get independent advice from a financial planner along with a solicitor - both not likely to sign off, unless you plan to lie to them also.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. firsttime

firsttime Member

Thanks.

She would be paying the Interest initially and then pay out the loan after a period.

Yes, I will have to look into the deeming rates and how it will effect the pension.

Thanks again.

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

If it was me, I would not provide a reverse mortgage for a business loan. Your daughter can get a business loan from a bank if she has a decent business case. 80 per cent of start up businesses go bust within two years.
    I think the kindest thing might be encourage your daughter to save up to start her business or help her apply for jobs. She could even go to TAFE and do some business study.

6. Terry_w

She shouldn't be paying your bank but you and you pay the bank.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would not do it if I were you, even if your willing to do whatever to get the loan, unless you can afford to give that money away no problem, or are happy to lose it and pay back the loan yourself.

Like someone else said, usually if the business case stacks up, a normal lender will see that, but then they may ask you to go guarantor....which puts you back to para one above.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if a client came to me with that request, id make sure we get independent legal advice, we have an objective view on the business, make sure that we assess the exit strategy for the parent if it all goes bad.

and we would look to get a limited guarantee style product on the IP, sounds like we dont have the traditional servicing to borrow to onlend to the kiddies

Typically, not something we would consider against a parents PPOR

ta
    rolf

Brady likes this.
  9. dabbler

unless they prove they will be happy on the street in a sleeping bag when no one pays the mortgage cause they will take the home and sell it.....if loan was done correctly. :)

10. Rolf Latham

Nah

Its just one of those ones that I will let pass to the Keeper.

Some would argue I shouldnt make value judgements like that and just shut up and serve the client, and let them make their own family judgement call, and thats ok, someone will do the loan and most of the time it will be fine.

ta
    rolf

11. dabbler

Nah, I would not do it either, I am already talking them out of it and I have no fees (but I should have ;-)) )

12. Terry_w

Brokers have to consider whether the loan is not-unsuitable. If a broker gets someone finance when it is unsuitable they could be breaching the NCCP Act and could be liable for penalties and civil litigation.

13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

14. Rolf Latham

We do a few of these and have done for near 20 years

they are a good product solution with great borrower outcomes, and most lenders insist on independent legal, financial advice AND "approval" from the executor of the will.

ta
    rolf

Brady likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.