Reverse cycle air conditioning granny flat Perth

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by moridog, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

hi, wanting to put reverse cycle in my granny flat, only had one quote so far and wondered if anyone had any hints or tips, 3 zone, 4 outlet, been quoted 7,500 but never had reverse cycle before so I don't know if this seems reasonable or not, many thanks in advance. :)

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Any reason why you aren't just going for a few split system units instead?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sounds like overkill - 3 zones in a granny flat. Two at the most - living and bedrooms.

I would also concur with using 2/3 splits if you're serious about having 3 zones.

How big is the gf? High ceilings or anything extraordinary like high heat load and no insulation?

4. moridog

The guy said each bedroom is a zone and living/dining/kitchen. Two bedrooms and high ceilings. There is only one place to put a split and that is servicing one bedroom, I did think ducted Evap but it gets very cool and very warm there even though the insulation and everything is there :(
    I could possibly get away with one split in the main bedroom but ultimately I want to rent it on airbnb so I want it comfortable. Oddly enough, the main bedroom is reasonably comfortable because it is well shaded, the rest is hot as hell even though I minimised East/West exposure and keep it well shut up to try to reduce heat.

5. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I would use one wall mounted split system. Depending on lay out it should be good enough to cool the whole place.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A zone for each bedroom is over the top. Yes, it may be more efficient however a gd is a postage stamp. If push came to shove one zone would suffice.

Get another opinion or three.

7. moridog

OK, booked another one for this week, thanks, what is a GD?

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally for a rental I'd throw in a wall system, only requires a powerpoint, don't know what area of WA your in but for eg; $200 for a 4.7kw system - LG 4.7kW wall or window mount air conditioner | Air Conditioning & Heating | Gumtree Australia Subiaco Area - Subiaco | 1102919142
    That was a quick look, plenty of others on there incl split

If the place is "hot as hell" perhaps try a whirlybird on the roof with eave vents.
    If it's exposed/cathedral ceilings use one of these which allows it to be open/closed - CSR Edmonds Ventilation Cathedral Ceiling Vent Kit

Perhaps also consider tinting the windows or preferably having some form of eve/shade over them if they're getting hit with direct sun.

9. moridog

Thank you!