Reuse Evaporative Cooler Vents for A/C

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by iwantahouse, 21st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

I'm planning on installing a 10kw MHIAA ducted A/C in our home. Installer gave us the option to reuse current evaporative cooler vents for the A/C or just make the new holes in new location near the windows.

In his opinion, our rooms are small and reusing evaporative hole vents is a good idea so I can avoid patching them if I decide to install new vents instead.

He is not forcing me to choose any of them, he just said his house is also old like mine and he reused the holes without issues.

I understand that location of vents are in the opposite side for evap vs a/c.

I'm still undecided as to what to choose and was hoping for some insight from you guys. Better to do it well once and rip new holes for ducted a/c?

2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Whats the difference in price?

3. iwantahouse

No price difference. Vents are going to be replaced but using same holes being used for evaporative cooler.

4. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

You could probably just replace existing evap aircon with a newer, more efficient version which would be way cheaper to run than refrigerated system and still work well in Adelaide's dry heat.
    Presumably you could use the same vents and just replace the unit itself (??) .
    In our previous hotbox of a PPOR, we installed a Breezair evap system and were really pleased with it - silent, efficient and negligible running costs.

5. iwantahouse

Well too late, we installed a ducted a/c with new vents, I have to patch the old vents' holes at some point.

I agree that evap cooler is nice, I actually like it a lot, thing is I also had to replace ducts, the whole thing.

Also, we wanted to heat the house in winter so that was the main reason for going to ducted a/c