Returning expat borrowing power conundrum

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by mike7575, 15th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

Hi PCers,

Looking for a bit of an indication on my borrowing power here.

I'm looking to buy a PPOR in Sydney. My situation:

-Returning expat last year, no meaningful PAY statements for the last 2 years.

-Been in a tech sales job for around 5 months, 125k base, commission is 125k or more on top of that. I understand you need to show 2 years of comms which I cannot.

-1 x investment property in north ryde owned with my sister. She has just moved to London so can't use her income. Debt is 205k, value is probably $650k. Returning $400 per week in rent so very much positively geared. Low-rise apartment so very few costs.

-No personal debt, no credit cards or liabilities.

-There's a place I quite like which I think I could get for around 900k.

Questions:

-With LVR of 90% what would my borrowing power be? And would this change with LVR of 87.5% or 85%? I'm not concerned about paying LMI

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A core piece is to use a lender that will allow the comms to be used

there are some options once you have 6 mths up

Not enough data around the balance of the question especially around expenses, for example, private health insurance, life insurance etc

The unit most lenders will saddle you with all the debt, and give you half the rental and all the expenses, so after all that this will hurt borrow cap a little.

Might work without comm, might not

ta

rolf

3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

There's a misconception with commission and bonus that HAS to be recieved for 2 years.

Depending on which bank,

Bonus- if recieved half yearly and constant, it's fine to use and no need to wait for 2 years.

Commission- there is 2 banks on top of my head where if you recieved it consistently for 3 months they will annualised it and use that figure at 80% for servicing.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Relying on only 1 year of variable income & requiring LMI is not a friendly combination for lenders.