Returning Australian's Quarantine facility

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Stoffo, 29th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

There have been various discussion's at state and federal level about building additional quarantine sites in Australia (also here in the various Covid 19 threads).

Given that most of our lockdowns have been trigvered by hotel quarantine "leaks" I am surprised that it hasn't been proposed to have an offshore quarantine facility !

This could benefit a neighboring country/community and limit our exposure.

As an example, if based in Thailand the cost could be reduced, far cheaper than building new facilities here, day 1 you get the Phizer jab, you then do 14 days there and when return a negative test you get to board a plane, fly to Aus and spend 4 days at the airport hotel and still return a negative test = second jab and free to go.

Thoughts ???

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I don't want to go to Thailand, how about NZ?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

They could do one in Manus Island or Nauru.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Perhaps after we've finished with Quarantine, they could be used as emergency housing for the homeless.

5. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Nearly all of NSW leaks have been from transport. So the further you have to transport the quarantiners the more chance of a leak. Plus with new strains appearing up to 30 days after being infected do we quarantine people for 30 days rather than the current 14 days.

We must become part of the world and accept some risk and bring back normal employment and businesses. It is ridiculous that I can earn millions by sitting at home watching a large land portfolio increase in value benefitting no one but me.

Whilst my and my kids businesses which employ people, produce things, bring in export dollars and increase the wealth of all Australians languish or close.

I believe that Covid has made us financially self centred and not care about our fellow less lucky Australians. Today’s speech by Queensland’s elected leaders of closing off Australia to Australians because they have two Covid cases is purely selfish and unAustralian.
    It’s strange how it takes a migrant born leader like Gladys to understand what makes being a great caring Australian all about. To her parliamentary peril she has taken the largest load of returning aussies. I salute her for her care of those that are desperate to return and understand that contracts and needs to travel expire on different dates, so it will be an ongoing need to allow Aussies to travel.

but of what use will quarantine be when everyone is vaccinated, are we foolishly going to still quarantine those that have had their two shots in a billion dollar facility.

MTR and Shazz@ like this.
  6. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Its the opposite direction the rest of the western world is going, which is to vaccinate as fast as possible and open up using vaccine passports. Quarantines will be gone.

Most people at this stage trying to go to Australia will already be vaccinated. Should be a requirement even now before they get on a plane. Those that cant well there's testing & quarantine.

Free travel within EU from this Thursday July 1 for those with the certificate. I get mine mid July (14 days after 2nd jab). EU roughly 50% population has had at least one jab, so maybe 70% adult population guessing (UK is 80%).

Australia should aim for the 50% and just open up with a vax passport integrated with the EU and US systems.

MTR and Car tart like this.
  7. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Why not? Don’t you love Tom Yum?

Lockdown is downright stupid. Live with it.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nah, many more interesting things on the menu. :D

9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I love him long time <3

But seriously I think the govt should wait another 6-12 months then think about building quarantine facilities

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well said:)