Return to Yield

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Guest, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you think current events could result in property investors seeking greater yields?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Who wants to be holding an asset running hundreds of dollars a week in negative cashflow with the potential for significant capital losses?

Not really interested in starting ANOTHER ;) coronavirus thread, but could the current environment see a return to more interest in yield (or perhaps development / renovation), rather than speculating on capital gains?

As recent as the past few weeks I am sure I could find threads where it's all about capital gains, capital gains, capital gains, but periods like we are going through now, especially if prolonged could result in a big shift in investor mindsets.

charttv, Archaon and D.T. like this.
  2. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

I think its very possible. The reason why yields are so low is because of the property asset bubble. Asset price surges are driven by cheap debt, where rents are locked to wage growth. Tenants can't simply go to the bank and borrow increasingly exuberant amounts of money to pay rent, like property owners can.

Widespread unemployment is likely to pop this bubble, and with a haircut in property prices we should see yields return to what they were say 20 to 30 years ago.

Brickbybrick and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  3. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Possibly if this continues to play out the way it does. Low cost of debt will shield it a bit so depends how bad unemployment/non payment of rent goes. Mind you if Aus had 1% interest rates like HK did, it's pretty had to go cashflow negative.

MTR likes this.
  4. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

My experience over the last 6 months says they already are/were and this will continue. I have a growing number of investors who are "5% and over only please" type folks. The stock is rare in decent locations but there if you know what to look for or are willing to roll up the sleaves.

charttv, Archaon, Guest and 1 other person like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Well yes, I think I could see property investors seeking greater yields but necessarily from property.

6. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

100%. Good to mitigate risk

7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

How can the HK banks lend at 1% when they are paying 1.69% on term deposits ?

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Net Yield after expenses 11.16% $694k
    Funding cost 3.5%
    So 69% of the net rental is profit

25 Pandora road Napier NZ 1584763822378952767799408983780.jpg

BuyersAgent likes this.
  9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yields have always been in fashion for me
    Some of my purchases made 22 years ago are now yielding 40+% :) on purchase price

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    charttv, BuyersAgent and Guest like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

perhaps in the future?? Who knows. In the main I see property investors as not too interested in being active investors, requires more risk and work.

but adding value via developing etc today will I expect be high risk

i was days off signing with my builder, but way too nervous to go ahead with this project

charttv likes this.
  11. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Currently paying 2.65% on my HK apartment

12. Omnidragon

That’s pretty pricey. I was paying 2% even back in Dec with BEA and 2.3% on industrial with DS. Now there’s a series of cuts. Back 6-7 years ago was around 1% also... who you with?

13. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I just checked and it's 2.5% with BOC

14. Omnidragon

Yea I don’t borrow with big banks.

Also what type of loans you looking at. Mine are all P+ not H-. I noticed H- is higher (typo)

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2020
  15. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I’m not sure it will. In fact, without thinking too much about it, I’d say the reverse will occur.

Overall property investors are looking for returns, yield is part of that return and weighted a bit higher (given its present value and doesn’t need to be discounted vs future returns at a discount rate).

1. In general, greater yields come with greater risk. I.e move to lower priced point/lower socieeconomic areas, and yields rise. Investors should theoritically would want a bigger risk premia now on lower quality assets given the greater risk of rent being realised in today’s market.

2. Net yields will likely fall through a crisis like this. Ie fewer people will be able to pay rent and the gov’t is unlikely to compensate investors (reading current news, more likely to ask investors to be involved in footing the bill). This would be weighted towards higher yield properties unfortunately (I think, but not too sure).

3. interest rates are so low, that there’s not much that’s negatively geared! Some of Sydney’s finest suburbs will be positively geared now.

Overall, in crisis conditions, I think behaviourally investors will fly to quality (blue chip), not risk. That typically means what traditional PC investors categorise as growth properties, not yield.

If looking a bit wider to get a sense of behavioural responses, So far, financial assets have seen a run from yield/risk assets to low yield/low risk assets. Ie investors are asking to be compensated with higher yields given the risk profile of these assets are now greater. I.e. investors are questioning if yield will be delivered. Same may go for property.

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2020
    charttv, Guest and Blueskies like this.
  16. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't think so either. No need to chase yield when the cost of capital is so low. When your borrowing at 2.5% the hurdle for returns is pretty low.

charttv likes this.
  17. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

The rate is the lesser of HIBOR + 1.23% and 2.5%. I think 2.5 is better right now

18. Omnidragon

Sorry I swapped H and P around, but it's H+1.3 or P-3.2
    I wasn't even shopping around, I just went with whoever my friend recommended

19. Guest

Guest Guest

All well reasoned points, but on this one, I would suggest those with properties in areas where rent is being paid entirely or mostly from government benefits may be lower risk (in some respects) in the current climate and that may be the case for some time to come. I bet there are a lot of investors who wish their properties were affordable to those on the pension and other government benefits.

Right now I would much prefer to have 4 x $250k properties in Adelaide with 5-6%+ yields (with 4+ income streams) over a $1m property in Sydney with a 3% yield (where a single income earner losing their job could result in no rental income).

Maybe I am in the minority.

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Mar, 2020
    charttv and Redom like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree, but just to think your comments on holding property in Adelaide over Sydney would have been laughable not so long ago, not today though

most investors will be in survival mode, just brings it home the importance of cashflow and debt/lvr.

charttv and Guest like this.