Retrospective granny flat approval - is it possible in Perth, WA?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by alatus, 31st Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alatus

alatus Member

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in buying an established property in Bayswater / Bassendean LGAs with existing, unapproved granny flat.

I know that such flats could be retrospectively approved in NSW - I did it once with great success in Shellharbour area.

Not sure how it works in Perth, though…?

Is it possible assuming that the whole property meets current planning restrictions and the flat itself complies with building code?

If so, what's the process to follow in those LGAs?

Is there any service / company that would do it for me in Perth, similarly like the one from Sydney www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au that I used before?

2. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

When you say unapproved granny flat, does it have a planning approval or building licence or NO to both?

You can get structures retrospectively approved in WA, it's a multi step process:
    • Engage a building surveyor regarding BCA compliance;
    • The building surveyor will refer to a structural engineer for a report;
    • The building surveyor may also refer to a planner if it hasn't been built in a deemed-to-comply manner;
    • Lodge a retrospective planning approval and building licence (concurrent);
    • Obtain approvals;
    • Profit...
    But it is not always that easy, if the structure doesn't meet the BCA or the deemed to comply planning regs there could be a LOT more hurdles to jump through or just outright impossible.

By seeking the approval you'll flag the issue with council, and they may issue you a notice of non-compliance (preemptively in the case of a planning decline).

3. alatus

alatus Member

Hi Kent, many thanks for your kind and informative reply.
    Answering your question - NO to both:)
    I noticed you're a Buyer's Agent in Perth - pls PM me, I may be interested in your service.
    Anthony