Travel & Holidays Retiring Overseas

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Redwing, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mws

Mws Well-Known Member

I’ve been in hospital in both Thailand and Australia and I can vouch AUSTRALIAN hospitals are definitely better. In Pattaya while they were changing my leg dressings ( motorbike accident) I was swatting mosquitoes. What a ****hole!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Which hospital was that?

I say the opposite.

I should clarify though that I am talking private hospitals in Thailand. I have been to a few public ones and they were terrible. One room with about 30 beds...

Last edited: 7th Sep, 2019
  3. Mws

Mws Well-Known Member

Not sure Terry was back in 2001,I think I was placed in the westerners wing ha.It was the scariest week of my life. A Swiss couple walked out in front of me( they admitted this to me.They were in the same hospital).It ended up costing me $5,500 in bribes and $1,100 to fix the bike. Sorry about the thread drift

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Sep, 2019
    Terry_w likes this.
  4. Terry_w

There is a pommy youtube know about who is going through major surgery in Thailand atm - cancer of the oesophagus. He said he had no insurance so was self funding. He said it was about $40k aud, including medicines, surgeon, hospital stay etc. He refused to go back to pommy land for free treatment.

5. Mws

Mws Well-Known Member

Wow 40k, just goes to show how severely I got done over having to shell out $AU6,600 18 years ago

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Sep, 2019
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm back in Australia now. I was in Medellin a few years ago, I went alone while my wife stayed here.

There's employment in Australia, and there's family. Technology makes separation easier, but it obviously can't replace being there.

I don't mind life here. It's comfortable, with a huge number of advantages. The biggest advantage for living here is that my wife doesn't want to go anywhere else any more. She's Mexican, so the Latin American thing doesn't have the same appeal for her as it does for me. She's happy to be a tourist, but not a resident. And she's not that fond of Asia even as a tourist (with some exceptions).

The big disadvantage here is that I don't have the assets to live as comfortably as I would like. Plus Canberra winter is cold, which I don't mind but she hates.

She would go somewhere once for three months with me, not as a regular "get away from the cold" thing, which I'd enjoy. Also, not many employers have that sort of flexibility.

random likes this.
  7. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right . Well l can hear your wife, my woman is Russian/Portuguese and traveled a lot in earlier days she's got no interest in going anywhere else now.She like Australia , Sydneys her fav' but l don't like Sydney it's just too dear but l've got my business and my daughter down here in Vic anyway so.
    You guys could always move up to somewhere warmer .l've lived allover Australia earlier , my ex and l lived interstate 13yrs, but l do like the 4 seasons in Vic and the people too mostly so ended up back in Vic. The heat up north drove me troppo.
    l sure couldn't be bothered moving os at this stage l trvelled and lived far enough in those 13yrs yrs and my woman wouldn't want to either but l've always been curious about all the stuff l spoke about in the other post and admittedly l do think Australia is way over rated now and way over priced. Even a visa costs 7 bloody k , a family visa costs 55k l think it is , Europe is a few 100 E and with so much to offer and fair and cheap living too, most other places visas alone are around the E prices , so yet more reasons l just wonder hth people even move here anyway, really has me stumped and it's a mind boggling grueling ordeal to even get the visa if they do have the money.

Anyway , you can have a nice life though , and l guess you have tropics or desert or cities of differences or bush or hobby farm or ocean or whatever takes your fancy to choose from too so l mean that's not bad, get that in plenty of other countries too though l know, buttt, still if your life is here then it's not bad really , could be a lot worse right.

Cheers

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Piston_Broke, sharon and Terry_w like this.
  9. Terry_w

Redwing likes this.
  10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes if they had children they could be 18 now and supporting their parents :)

11. Redwing

upload_2019-12-7_14-31-33.png

Why are more and more Australians retiring overseas?

The number of Australians retiring overseas is on the rise. According to the ABS, there has been a 47% increase in overseas retirees over the past 10 years.

The most popular destinations? New Zealand, Italy, Greece and Spain, with other attractive countries including Panama, Portugal, Malaysia and Thailand.

But what has caused this trend?

One of the biggest factors is the increasing cost of living within our shores. Property prices are on the rise, and if you haven’t saved sufficiently beforehand, retirement can find you short changed. That’s where a move overseas, where your savings may last longer thanks to lower living costs, can seem appealing.

Anne11, geoffw, Toon and 2 others like this.
  12. geoffw

They mention Italy, Greece and Spain - but people who want to live there I believe need to have EU citizenship. At minimum, this makes it a lot easier to live there. It's not mentioned, but I'd suspect that many of those living in those countries have ancestry, if not birth rights, in those countries.

The pensioners retiring overseas because they can't afford Australia

Redwing and Toon like this.
  13. Redwing

14. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Heinz57 likes this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Yum. Macau is closer for yummy egg tarts..

16. geoffw

Redwing likes this.
  17. geoffw

18. Redwing

PART 1 Dan lives on $300 a month living large

then

PART 2 interviewing Elaine retires in her 40s and moves to Mexico

PART 3 the millionaire who lives on $300 a month.

PART 4 come visit their home and hear the rest of the story

Anne11 and Terry_w like this.
  19. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

No thanks, what crappy lifestyle.
    If due to some misfortune or lots I had to start from scratch then maybe and do all I could to make some remote income, blog or online business.
    But I'd never live like that given a choice.

Retiring in mexico with at least 50k usd passive income is total different situation though.

Redwing and jaybean like this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

For those that couldn’t bear to leave Oz, maybe move “abroad” to the bush? Buy a nice little house in Cunnamulla or Miles < insert cheap country town in your state here> for $200k, everyone speaks English, collect the pension.