Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Retiring Overseas

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Redwing, 2nd Aug, 2015.

1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

To revamp a thread on SS and continue the discussions on retiring overseas

Even many European Countries have areas that look good i.e. Italy, Spain, France,and Portugal, let alone Latin America or South East Asia

Somersoft - Places To Retire (Cheaply)

Lacrim likes this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

My parents always travel to Asia because it's cheap. I say why not America or Europe. Try something new. Nope, they say, Asia is cheap.

When I retire I want to go to where I want to go, not where it's cheap. If it happens to be a cheap place then so be it but I don't want my decision made purely on that basis.

Anyway sorry to hijack your thread, it just annoys me when they penny pinch like that when they could afford a better holiday!

hobo and ellejay like this.
  3. Teddy

Teddy Active Member

Our aim is a property in Florence and to split our year between here and there.
    Hopefully in the next couple of years we will have a solid plan in place

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Havin lived in Medellin, Colombia, for three months, I would be very happy to live there long term. The climate is comfortable all year round, the city feels more like an Australian city than a Latin American one, and it is cheap to live.

Yet it's only one place. Having lived there, I don't think it would be too difficult to settle in another place either.

I'm not a big fan of tropical climates though, and beaches don't do a lot for me except as a place to visit once in a while. I went to a number of places in Central America touted as great places for an expat to live. For most the climate was a turn off for me.

ellejay likes this.
  5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

'Hi Teddy,
    Our aim is a property in Florence and to split our year between here and there.
    Hopefully in the next couple of years we will have a solid plan in place'

You do mean the hills around Florence, not the city itself?
    rolling hills, vineyards rural idyll?
    cheers

6. geoffw

In most of Europe a person without patriality can only get a schlengen visa, which restricts travel to Europe to a maximum of 90 days every six months. For me, that means that an idylli retirement around Florence, for instance, would not be possible.

7. SeafordSunshine

There are ways around it, I have some Dear Friends who retired to a magical village inTarn!

Teddy likes this.
  8. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Are there?
    Please tell us more.

9. SeafordSunshine

Not sure entirely, but I know buying property there, in France and living in it helps. These visa things are ever changing, they went on a lot of investigative holidays.. Checked out the local rural town halls,
    There are some blogs?

10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

11. geoffw

I don't believe he's gone there yet.

12. pinkboy

pinkboy Well-Known Member Premium Member

Been and back. Will do a report soon.

pinkboy

Redwing and ellejay like this.
  13. geoffw

My apologies @pinkboy.

I thought you were going to be there longer.

14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I like the idea of splitting the budget and having two retirement destinations. Everywhere has a time of year when it's not so nice to be living there. We bought a little place in NZ a few yrs ago, golf course directly at the back and front, half an hour max to the ski fields (cheaper skiing than here too) and less to mountain walking and blue lakes. Cost $100k just needs double glazing and a new kitchen. I reckon we've got so fussy about weather though over the years, would get bored after three days of cloud. Thinking now of a cheapish place in Q'land as well.

I love Europe and could easily do summers there. I'm not sure about buying in France or Italy though. I think I'd go the caravan option initially to test areas out, you can get stuck for years with some of those houses if you're trying to sell them. Agree they can be good value though.

MTR and Touristy like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

We've got some relos/friends who have retired overseas.
    There's some cheap places in Spain, but some WEIRD places too. There are purpose built suburbs for British retirees: they have their little pubs and chippies and curry places. They mostly all hang around together and complain about "the Spanish".

ellejay likes this.
  16. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have some British friends who have retired to Crete. They have a lovely house with great views and a pool. They went there many times to check it all out in the summer. They moved over and found there are no facilities during the winter, even the power gets turned off for hours at a time. It is currently summer and they are loving it again ....

Azazel likes this.
  17. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Alot of these countries are colder and wetter in the winter than people realise, and also everything closes down as they're tourism reliant on the whole. In any case, hopefully they got a bargain and have enough left for a little place somewhere else when Crete closes down for the winter. Sounds gorgeous no matter what.

Chrispy likes this.
  18. SOULFLY3

SOULFLY3 Well-Known Member

My pick would be Hawaii, I have checked out Condo apartments and purchase prices aren't too bad and could rent it via VRBO ie 6 months Aus 6 months USA :)
    As I haven't invested OS I wouldn't know where to start..!

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's a great spot, except for the tourists ;)
    Lots of the islands close down for the Winter, less tourists and such obviously. I was surprised to find out it snows on Crete.
    The people we know in Spain have decided to go back to Wales for half of the year now as well.

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Whilst I'd consider living/retiring overseas, I would NEVER buy a prop - too many question marks around legalities, tied up funds, maintenance, corruption, being ripped off, being anchored - why not just keep things simple and rent something long term. That way, if things don't work out, you can literally pack up and go find another watering hole. In addition, renting keeps your options open ie why limit the target to 1 or 2 locations - why not, 3 months in Provence, followed by Spain, then next year it'll be Bali, followed by Thailand etc etc. Big world out there with so much to see, and if planned well, can be done on the cheap too.

SStar, oracle, jafeica and 2 others like this.