"Retiring" in Thailand?

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Terry_w, 24th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Has anyone considered retirement to a cheaper destination such as Thailand?

- Rents are generally much cheaper than Australia.
    In a nice beach town you could rent a one bedroom apartment for about AUD$1,000 per month or less.

- Food is much cheaper

- Visa situation is very easy for those over 50 and not too hard for those under

- Cheap airfares available for domestic and even international travel. Bangkok is like a hub that you can travel from (helps extend the visa too perhaps).

- cars are much more expensive than in Oz, but taxis and ride share (similar to uber) are very cheap. A 2 hour taxi ride might cost you $30.

- Nightlife is great

- beaches, domestic travelling and sightseeing is great

- you can hang out in area where English speakers congregate or avoid them totally.

- low crime, pretty safe

- going out to movies etc much cheaper than Oz

- hospitals are excellent (but getting there in an ambulance might be a problem).

There are plenty of videos on living expenses in Thailand on youtube - you can live on $1500 AUD per month upwards fairly comfortable.

There could be some tax concessions coming soon for those living there but earning their income from overseas such as digital nomads.

MichaelW, samiam, Redwing and 9 others like this.
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sounds great. But I get home sick very quickly.

Gladys likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not for me, sorry.

4. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

I'd rather live in portugal or spain personally.

Redwing, Elives and David_SYD like this.
  5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Terry's Life Tips?

sakuraZen, qak, Rekke and 4 others like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not without family and friends. No point moving and living thousands of miles away to be all alone imho. You can't enjoy a better lifestyle for long if you're doing it alone.

If someone has no family or friends, different proposition.

Rugrat, iloveqld, See Change and 9 others like this.
  7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

"retired" at 47 in Spain (because my kids live here), but I still muck around a fair bit with investments to generate income.
    I'd roughly estimate cost of living here about 60% of Australia (Barcelona vs Sydney).

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are a number of places I'd be happy to live - but my wife is firmly established here.

We've just moved cities, so we don't really have a social network yet, so moving overseas wouldn't be a big issue.

I've lived in the US, England and Colombia - so have had a little experience living elsewhere. I wouldn't live in the US or England now though.

I loved living in Colombia; I'm quite familiar with Mexico. In Medellin, while the latitude is tropical, the altitude makes for a climate which is like spring all year round - though with a little of the tropical wet conditions thrown in. There are areas around Mexico City with a similar climate. While I enjoy places like Malaysia or Thailand, the tropical humidity can be oppressing.

If I has the chance, I'd look at one of the old towns around Mexico City or Medellin, with loads of character, but within reach of some of the excellent facilites of the big city.

Piston_Broke, Cousinit and inertia like this.
  9. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

UK BBC Radio earlier this year:

David Baddiel, whose father suffers with dementia, hears how some people from Britain and Europe are choosing to send their mums, dads and partners as far away as Thailand for dedicated round the clock support.

Peter Brown runs a care resort in Chiang Mai - the mountainous north of the country. His 31 dementia patients are referred to as ‘guests’ with care tailored to the individual. Meanwhile Martin Woodtli runs a nearby ‘village’ where 14 people live in Villas with round the clock personal carers. He set things up after struggling to find care for his mother in his native Switzerland.
    At the moment, there’s a quiet revolution around catering for foreign nationals with dementia in Thailand, but its not the only place. It’s also happening in Mexico, where people have begun moving their loved ones because they couldn’t find suitable or affordable care in the United States

When visiting my brother in Chiang Mai a few years ago I stayed at a resort (it might have been the first mentioned above) which was 50/50 resi care and tourists - the former providing a 'baseload' income through the year. I was hugely impressed by the patience and care shown by the staff towards the residents. It's a scary thing here that should (hopefully not) I end up needing to be in resi care, there's no guarantee that I'll be looked after well regardless of what I pay.

Toon, WattleIdo, Baker and 7 others like this.
  10. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion Terry.

I wonder which other countries out there offer relatively proposition?
    1) English friendly 2) Accommodation affordability 3) Personal Safety 4) Food diversity

I don't mind living in countries that don't speak English - I can pick up languages relatively easily.

Top of my list so far would be:
    Spain, Italy, China, Vietnam
    Not in particular order

11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

When you say home sick. You don't mean Mt Druitt area or living in Australia?

Observer, datto, Empire and 2 others like this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Haha, it's Datto. Of course it's Mt Druitt!

13. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

geoffw, Toon and WattleIdo like this.
  14. geoffw

And seven of the top ten are Spanish speaking.

Panama is very English friendly, but it wouldn't be my favourite. Costa Rica is beautiful, but I'm not sure that it has quite the infrastructure. Mexico and Colombia have excellent infrastructure. Medical facilities, important for people my age and older, are excellent.

I don't know much about Uruguay or Ecuador.

Long term visa availability may be a problem for some countries. Unless you have a grandparent born in the EU (I don't know if GB still qualifies) or a spouse from the EU, it may be that you would have trouble getting to live in Italy or Spain. I imagine that Cuba would be difficult to be able to settle.

For food diversity, Mexico has the third most diverse cuisine in the world, after China and India. But Mexico is becoming more dangerous. One would have to know the local areas well to be able to choose.

Some cost of living figures:
    Cost of Living Index 2022

Gen-Y likes this.
  15. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I have a friend that retired to Bali. She moved just prior to Covid. Came home when Covid hit but went back early last year. There are quite a few expats there. She's been posting photos for the last year travelling around the glorious countryside. I love Bali but not sure I could live there. I know a lot of people that live in very cheap accom and sit around or lay on the beach. Not my style. A lovely villa with a pool though, I could do.
    I met a lady in Prague that had a plan to buy a unit on the Gold Coast. Instead they bought a villa in Prague. They invested the rest of the money and that paid for their airfares twice a year. They did 3 months in Prague and 3 months in Australia, repeat.

So many options if you are flexible.

We travelled for 4 years until hubby said no more. I could have kept going. That wasn't long in one place though.
    I could happily jump on a plane and see where it takes me. Set up on a beach and leave when I get bored. Hubby is a homebody though.

codeninja, 38215, hobo and 3 others like this.
  16. GoldCoastBound

GoldCoastBound Well-Known Member

Any tips to picking up languages easily?

17. GoldCoastBound

GoldCoastBound Well-Known Member

Not full time, we like to move around and enjoy as many places we can

interested to hear more about some tax concessions that might be coming soon though?

Travelbug likes this.
  18. geoffw

One should be careful about tax residency if living overseas for a long period. One should get advice about this, depending on what results are required. It's possible that even long term non residents could be regarded as residents for tax purposes of things aren't done correctly, possibly with undesirable outcomes - and vice versa.

And something else to be careful about if moving overseas long term is administration of your SMSF. If you have an SMSF there are rules as to residency of the person having control.
    SMSFs and Moving Overseas | Savings.com.au

Travelbug, Mike A and Gen-Y like this.
  19. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I don't really know if there is course you can do.
    I was brought up in a multi cultural country and you have to speak their languages to others and actually learn it at school as well.

First thing is be eager to learn, listen to their radio, news and mix with locals. This have to be 24/7 around the clock.

Speaking it is much easier to learn first. Writing is another 5 levels of difficulty.

I think it is also harder when you are older to learn. If you haven't the motivation when younger.

Sorry no quick route for that one.

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2022
    GoldCoastBound likes this.
  20. geoffw

You don't need to learn a lot to get by. Hello, please and thank you will make people appreciate you making the effort, especially in countries where not many foreigners to learn the language. Learn to count, learn to get around (to understand the answers as well as asking the questions), learn the food names and how to order.

And I'd make an effort early on to get the pronunciation right - and learn the "music "of the language. Tones in many Asian languages are extremely important. It can mean the difference between saying "come", "dog" or "horse" in Thai. But even in non tonal languages, the sounds of letters can differ to what they are in English. While people will still understand, getting the sounds correct will be appreciated. In Spanish, many consonants are a lot softer, something I didn't realise for a number of years. And sometimes, the sounds produced by an English speaker in another language are atrocious, even for some who have been in that country for years.

But many people will understand you, no matter how badly you pronounce, often much more so than people from other countries speaking English.

Make the effort. Don't expect people to speak English, though often they will.

Google Translate can be a great tool, though it wasn't really around in the time I needed it, so I can't say how it would be in real life.

Colin Rice and GoldCoastBound like this.