Retirement would suck, without cashflow. .

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Barny, 7th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I've had almost 10 weeks on holidays which initially was fantastic. Unfortunately I couldn't go away this time as cash was limited as I just had a massive European holiday mid year, and a wedding to pay for. So decided to just chill out, read, train hard, work on my garden veggies, educate myself in other areas and limit spending.
    Since I'm on base wage whilst on holidays and don't earn as much as I do when I'm at work. Which means I can't do the stuff I love most, which is motorsports and traveling, and unfortunately for me it isn't a cheap hobby.
    Made me think, if you don't have the cash you need in retirement your gonna start to loose your mind and get bored very quickly. This holiday was not what I thought it would be.

MTR, Gingin and Terry_w like this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I'd say you're right.

In some other threads where people state some conservative retirement target passive incomes, they say they won't spend as much in retirement than when they are in the workforce as expenses will be lower.

However, as you've experienced, it's very easy to spend money, especially if not spending the whole day working in a job.
    Retirement should be where you do everything you couldn't do while you were working because you were too busy...

C-mac, Gingin and Barny like this.
  3. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

You're going to need a very good cash flow positive portfolio if you think retirement is all about perpetual expensive hobbies. I think some people do opt to work for ten or more years longer so that they can have more of this in retirement. I know what you mean though, there is a balance. Working part time or half of the year may be a better option than retirement, more cash to do stuff and less chance of boredom kicking in. It's nice to do the whole gardening/vegie patch thing for a while though to at least have the option of getting bored with it.

D.T. and Barny like this.
  4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I think transitioning to retirement and planning/ setting goals for your time (if you're that way inclined) is a good idea. Yes you could get bored quickly, or you could re-train your brain, slow things down and learn to appreciate what's free in life.

Barny likes this.
  5. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Mini retirements are all the rage at the minute. Step out for 6 months of work then come back to it.

Jack Chen and Barny like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

After going on a shedload of expensive holidays taken at different times in the last 2 yrs eg skiing in Japan, 5 weeks in Europe, 3 weeks in USA, almost everywhere in SEA, and even though I LOVE travelling overseas, I've come to the conclusion or realisation that happiness and contentment is drawn from within - it can't really be 'bought' via toys and yes, even luxury holidays.

For me, an overly ambitious cashflow goal is second in priority to pulling the plug earlier. Time is what I'm after.

C-mac, chindonly, Observer and 5 others like this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

It's the experiences I love. The adventure of trying new foods in new cities and new people. Getting out of my comfort zone and seeing places I've never seen before, trying local brews cause you you may never get the chance to do so again.
    The thrill and adrenaline of track racing the clock and your mates, the interaction with friends and family when ever we all get together go to to a track day which is usually the weekend away somewhere with a group of us. Or the preparation of all year where the whole team put all their hard work, sweat and tears for that first place position. It's the feeling of being involved with a project that I love.
    It's a rush like no other for me, nothing comes close.
    I wish I could get that rush from playing a flute.

Jkat and Xenia like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How much do you want/need pa for this lifestyle?

MTR

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

The more the better

Xenia, MTR and D.T. like this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've spent some time on reduced or no income during a mini retirement.
    Spent a lot during months of travelling, but also did it cheaply.
    It depends what you want to do, and how expensive your hobbies are.
    I'd be happy to sit around not spending much on an island for a few months.

Barny likes this.
  11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes, this is us too. Time matters most.

We travel a LOT already. A third to a half of our yearly spend is on overseas travel (the advantage of all those school holidays).

Our down time will be in the motorhome (which is cheap). With overseas holidays and cruises in between. Overseas holidays will be a little cheaper as we can travel in out of peak times now but we will stay longer. It's amazing how cheap last minute cruises are.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

About 5-10% more than I can spend.

MTR likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just set a percentage number in money terms you will receive from your investments plus compounding and bumps in the road to what you think you need to do what ever you want,as far as retirement i talk to people over 55 in national parks where you pay sometimes 6 bucks per night,per person some when they tell their story sold up everything ,bought a motor
    home and just travel within Australia,good stress free life if you can get it..

Barny likes this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I'm really liking the idea of these mini retirements. I'm still enjoying my work so I won't be retiring anytime soon, or till I start to dislike my passions then I'll retire sooner.

But this holiday really did highlight the feeling of not being prepared later in life, once you become accustomed to a living standard you love and enjoy. And not being able to maintain that continued enjoyable lifestyle, without the cashflow will be extremely difficult to cut back on later on.
    Regardless if you live a simple low cost lifestyle or a lavish one.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you too:)

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's why super should be part of any strategy - taxfree income in retirement so your $100k pa is really $130k (and scalable).

sanj and Barny like this.
  17. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Maybe it will kick in once I become (even) older, but the motorhome travel option holds little appeal for me at this point. There are a couple of fishing trips / cruises that we've come across that seem interesting - across the top of Australia, Swears Is etc, but weeks and weeks in a campervan..... kill me now.

Any "travel" I budget/plan for in retirement is either overseas, or trips to Aus capital cities.

So yeah, I agree with the thread title!

Barny likes this.
  18. MattADL

MattADL Active Member

I wish I loved football as much as I loved motorsport, life would be so much cheaper.

Barny likes this.
  19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

It would make conversation a lot easier. When work mates ask if I watched the game on the weekend, I could finally say yes.

20. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

yeah hubby nagged for years before i relented. We went to Tassie for a month and I thought i would be ripping my hair out but it was great. So much to see and do.
    Hubby wants to do the big trek around Australia but I said 3-4 months would be a max for me. We'll see how it goes.
    I still have a long list of countries to see even though I've ticked off 50 countries (some I will revisit). So when we (read I) get tired of the van I'll jump on a plane. It's a good mix I think.

RetireRich101, Barny and hobo like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF