Retirement FOMO - Help!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Babesoft, 6th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I have found that it was easier to work etc when my child was in daycare as they were long days of care and no expectations for parental involvement. My child is now in prep - school days are considerably shorter, you need to walk them to class and pick them up (no drop and run), and there are lots of events at the school. Obviously there is before and after school care programs and you don’t have to attend events. But if you are wanting that type of involvement in their school life it is certainly harder to manage work than compared to the daycare years.

KBHV, Lizzie, Babesoft and 1 other person like this.
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yep. A school day is ridiculously short!

The other thing OP may consider is some volunteer work. Helps to bridge a gap in a resume, can be incredibly rewarding, and can also be a networking avenue.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Firefly99 and Babesoft like this.
  3. Babesoft

Babesoft Well-Known Member

Yes part of my FOMO is also 'what if I want to go back to work after being out for too long'.

But you've really nailed it with the need for fullfillment and utilise talent comments. If I can find something like your VC or making a difference idea, then I dont see myself regretting leaving my occupation so much in the future.

4. Babesoft

Last edited: 7th May, 2021
  5. Babesoft

@Angel @inertia

My child is in yr1 now and I have found that I need to be present, both physically and mentally, even more. School days are very short and his needs become more complex and therefore require more attention than when he was younger which was just eat/sleep/play repeat.

People with primary school aged children used to tell me that kids before school were easy and i laughed at them whilst looking at my needy drooling toddler. Well now I know. And then I have people with high school kids saying 'oh just wait till puberty':eek:

But volunteer / not-for-profit may be the way to go. Fulfulling and utilise my skills.

Angel, inertia and Firefly99 like this.
  6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I was told it got easier but have found the opposite. Also have teenage step kids so am well aware of what it yet to come.... perhaps 8-11 were the easiest years!

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I imaged he was yet to reach Primary School. I didn't return to "work" until mine were in high school but I work PT and locally which really helps.

8. Babesoft

I have an update for everyone!

I got a 5mth part time contract in my old line of work. Short term part time contracts are fairly rare in my field, but probably a combo of COVID restricting flow of overseas talents and luck is why they are offering this arrangement.

I am gonna use this as my trial run on whether I should go back to conventional office work.

Wish me luck :D

Ian87, Anne11, sanj and 4 others like this.
  9. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

I've found the phrase"happy house, happy spouse" works better for longer. Especially now I have 5 cars and a boat to play with

But seriously, I'm 30, just dropped to a 4 day week and looking forward to a cruisy year knocking out a few projects out side of work I don't really enjoy. I think it's ok to work pt if everyone is happiest.

Babesoft likes this.
  10. Babesoft

Update part 2!
    I did the contracting job. Contracting is excellent in that, pay is great (daily rate is just awesome), I dont have to pretend to care about or deal with office politics, just go in and get the job done. Downsides was it was boring and I was working beneath my capabilities - they needed a body and I was there to plug the gap. They extended my contract for another few mths, but I was very ready to leave after the extension. But I am now converted to contracting and I dont think I ever want to do a permanent role again. Bring on the sub-6 mth daily rate contracts! Woop! Even if it was for full time, I think that would be acceptable given I am only working for a few mths of the year.

Earlier this year, another opportunity came up to teach! One of you mentioned teaching before but I didn't give it much thought and overlooked the most obvious teaching route (my profession!). Its got the mental stimulation I needed, super flex working arrangement and hours, I could literally teach from anywhere in the world as its all virtual (I joked with my husband that we will move to Bali for their digital nomad income tax-free visa), and its nice working with young and keen people who aren't jaded (yet!). The only downside I've found to date is there's lack of significant chunks of downtime which makes it harder to plan long vacations. Teachers really do work very hard! But then I could be on vacation and do a little bit of work on the side, so its not a huge limitation. This gig will last me a few yrs, until I get bored again :D.

Angel, Morgs, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  11. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

That sounds like you are on a good wicket, the love of and for your child will outweigh any career FOMO in the long run.

KBHV likes this.
  12. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Simple, keep enjoying life. If you like what it is now and don't need the money, why change? :D