Retirement again:)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 23rd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So your retired.........whats the difference from comfortable and modest lifestyle???

MTR

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Single malt vs blended :rolleyes:

Chinos vs fig leaf :p

Sofa so good :D

Redwing, Propin and TMNT like this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

semi-retired, but still comfortable lifestyle, meaning on similar financial terms.
    I suppose the change for us is when the kids become adults and become independent, so we gain more time to do our chosen things as opposed to necessary day to day activities which may have involved around them...:)

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Comfortable is whatever I want it to be.

Modest is what my mother does. Given she owns her own home, she still travels a few times a year on those old people's bus trips, and goes on at least one cruise a year.

Extravagant is for someone else

I'm not retired yet but will be shortly, so I know my budget.

Perthguy, Reddy, kierank and 2 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@MTR When you start looking for retirement ideas you know it's time for you to get out of retirement and get back to work. You've had enough time off! Come back and join us peasants! :p

Reddy, Gladys, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Retirement is boring - especially when you are still in the 30s.
    Just saying as I did it for 6 months - almost went crazy as all my friends are still working at 30s to 40s.
    I think when one person retirement needs to match their surrounding or find new younger retired friends - as they aren't many out there.

Perthguy and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

When you can laugh and pay for the unexpected - like when your car ends up with the back wheel hanging over the rockery [happened to me a couple of weeks ago] :D provided no end of amusement for the neighbours for a couple of days ...

Angel and ellejay like this.
  8. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

According to the Association of Superannuation Funds Australia (ASFA) about $20k per year Retirement Standard - ASFA

We are all different and we all have different ideas of what to do with our money and time and how much is enough.

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Not sure where they get $20k from. If you owned an "Average" house you spend maybe $5k on the owning a house rates etc. Rent might be $300 a week or $15k a year

10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I understand the $20k is the difference not an annual amount of income.

The ASAF figures have been questioned on a number of occasions by various commentators. I cannot find the original research document on which the ASAF got and used the base figures but from memory it omitted a qualifying phrase along the lines of an ideal income but not a need.

I've always had in the back of my mind the organisation originally was a forum for advisers to SMSFs and not the SMSFs themselves. I know I didn't elect them to represent my SMSF.

willy1111 likes this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Or when one of your cars expires, you choose a new car and pick it up two days later....

Perthguy, Empire, Angel and 2 others like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

A wise man once told my husband - "to enjoy retirement you have to retire to something - not from something"

I'd been trying to tell hubby that for years (retirement next year) but, as usual, it takes an outsider to repeat what I've been saying for him to take notice

13. Scott No Mates

So it's an extra $20k over and above the full pension rate not as an substitute or alternative to the pension but a supplement.

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Possibly. According to the ASAF the difference between a modes lifestyle and a comfortable lifestyle for a couple is c $20k pa.

Whether its calculations and assessment take into account any pension availability or income from other investments (although any income in retirement is retirement income in my view) the organisation hasn't clarified. Really wish I had kept the link to the original research which was not done by or on behalf of the ASAF if I remember correctly. It was quite a few years ago.

But, hey, even if it's not your work and the figures/qualifications have been amended slightly, let's keep pushing it as facts. It works.

15. Scott No Mates

To generate that $20kpa from super (untaxed), a retiree would only require circa $300k growing at 6% pa (and spending allowance growing at 2.5% pa - CPI). This would last for 20 odd years, so from say age 67 to 87. It's not a big ask. If you wanted to retire today on $100k tax free, it'd be closer to $1.4M today). Of course, you may miss out on your pension but....

16. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Modest :- Being of a moderate or limited level.
    Comfortable :- As being as large as is needed or wanted.

Just as people have strategic plans in place throughout their working life to accumulate wealth, which enables them to be able to retire, it is also imperative to have plans in place for your retirement.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

The sun on my face, the sight of an animal or a beautiful plant, the sounds of birds...beyond comfortable and costs absolutely zero. Home made bread, delicious recipes made at home. Sitting in the garden. A glass or three of moderately priced wine :D It doesn't matter how many houses I buy, those are the things I truly love the most! I'm a born easy going, nature lover, couldn't care less about labels, brands ,suburbs and for that I'm forever grateful :p

Must admit I feel a bit sorry for people who need particular postcodes and things because the money for those has to come from somewhere if you don't have it already. Each to their own :) The cheapskates have it sussed..

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are truly blessed living in Australia, we have won lotto imo

I dont take the simple things in life for granted like our excellent health care system, our education system where everyone has an opportunity to improve their life etc etc etc

not many people will be self funded in retirement ....

we are fortunate as We are rated number 4 .....best old age pension in the world, that’s massive.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2019
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

People who constantly whinge and complain about living in Australia will never be happy living anywhere. I've been to many places and Australia is THE best to live imo

WattleIdo, Francesco, MWI and 3 others like this.