Retire at 60

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by tn8701, 5th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Ten
    Ten percent net is very achievable even today
    With $1.5m equity with no borrowings $150k net income is achievable
    With borrowing a lot more income
    Ps I passed details of 4343 great north road Auckland to several PC and PT ...and yes one purchased it at 10pc cap rate (net)
    On my personal front i have been doing 6.5pc with leverage....but lessors interest only

MTR likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is exactly what some SS/PC members had to do....they started living off equity then GFC hit and had to go back to their day jobs

MTR:)

kierank likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great thread:)

As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat..... and different strokes for different folks

kierank likes this.
  4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

My definition of retire is not, "not working" but rather "not needing to work". In my own case I "retired" very young in the sense of not needing to work and being able to live off investment income. But I continue to work as I both enjoy it and because every dollar earned only increases the total amount of spendable income :)

Magoo, inspiredbyprop, Toon and 5 others like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Love that definition @big max.

Like you, I don't need to work. But I have two part-time jobs and both pay me $0 (zero dollars).

I really enjoy this work. So much so that I have turned paid work so I can do these two jobs.

Now that is flexibility.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

im 32 years also and have my goals set on a 50-55yo retirement and I'm way behind OP in terms of ppor being paid off. Think I need to work a bit harder.

7. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I agree with PPoR being paid off, how is progress towards your investing goals going to reach your 50 yo retirement? As long as you don't want to use your PPoR as an ATM for investing (something I'm reminded of frequently - I'm not risking the house to live in the local caravan park to buy the next IP!!), then it becomes part of the overall picture.

As @MTR mentioned, different strokes for different folks, and when it hits, I'm sure it will all come thick and fast!

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some investors say you slow down as you hit financial freedom, the thing is I am finding I have been ramping it up. If you love what you do you just keep doing it and continue to build wealth, does not mean you don't smell the roses along the way

kierank, Sonamic and Chris Au like this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Who exactly? I do recall a couple that were doing this and to my knowledge they still are??

10. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

You pay off your PPOR and use growth and income from your IP's to fund more investments until funds are self perpetuating. Once you have enough capital you can either sell down or pay down the loans. Depending upon your timeframe.

11. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

You and I are in a similar position with similar goals. I'm also in my early 30s, bought my PPOR earlier in the year and have been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the mortgage.

I can't tell you just how rewarding it feels watching that balance go down fast whilst also reducing the interest by continually adding into my offset account. (Hint: a second job helps... a LOT).

I am focused, determined and confident I will achieve my goals. Sure there will be a few hiccups along the way but one way or another....I will get there!

Next goal is to acquire my first IP in the next 12 to 18 months.

Giddy Up! :)

Magoo likes this.
  12. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah I've always thought about retirement like that. It's a different concept to an old bloke who sits in front of a TV in a pension drinking beer all day ...

The other big benefit of my kind of "retirement" is it takes a massive stress burden off you with regard to "fear of losing your job". I know many people who are super worried about changes in their jobs and possible redundancy. And many who "put up" with a bad boss or a job they hate as they really feel they have no choice and this really impacts their level of happiness both at work and outside of work.

kierank and Toon like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Rather not mention names on the forum

14. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Certainly understand. I took the approach to pay down the IPs and PPoR at the same time and made a conscious decision to pull everything out of the IPs before looking at the PPoR. It comes down to risk profile and how aggressive you want/need to be. My partner and I made a decision to not risk more than 55-60% of the PPoR in IPs/investing. We have been able to recycle the IP funds for the portfolio to become self perpetuating (as you mention)

Sonamic likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia