Retaining walls cracking and crumbling

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by orangestreet, 8th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Hello

I am hoping to get some advice on an investment property I own in Brisbane that has given us a fair bit of grief over the last few weeks.

As you can see from the photos, there were palm trees in the retaining walls / fence and it has apparently disturbed the retaining wall leading to massive cracking and a smallish brick wall (which was poorly built in the first instance) to fall down. A builder has quoted $12K to knock down the whole thing and build it again. The palm trees have now been removed and I will look at grinding the stumps down at some stage.

I am hoping for some advice from the PC community about what I can do as spending $12K on it seems excessive. The B & P report when I bought the IP in 2016 mentioned that there was only minor cracking and nothing immediate needed to be done. The property manager, at this stage has organised quotes and is not in a position to offer any advice apart from organising the work order should I choose to go ahead.

I am really hoping to get the cracks repaired and painted. Not sure if that is feasible. I am also unclear if I can put in a fence of some sort where the exposed brick wall currently is; to the best of my knowledge it is not ‘retaining’ anything. If that is the case, why bother with a retaining wall and have problems in 10 years again. The tenants have a dog which makes it important to have some sort of a closed enclosure.

Happy to answer any further questions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I don't live in Brisbane and unsure as to how best to proceed. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Those walls have sheared, and the crack cannot realistically be repaired and painted unfortunately.

If it were me, I would remove everything, and just make it a low garden bed. Far cheaper.

orangestreet likes this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I can't tell for sure, but I would not be blaming the palms in the first instance. Many palms have quite a small root ball. What type of palms did you have there?
    The brickwork looks quite shoddy (esp. the brick wall in the first photo.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

That wall would hold back a fart, let along dirt and water :eek:.

I am not a construction expert but one would hope the besser blocks are core-filled.

Lindsay_W, Noobieboy and orangestreet like this.
  5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's a staggeringly ugly and poorly built structure. Get rid of it and put a fence there.

orangestreet likes this.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

$12k? A bricklayer might be $500 a day. A couple of hundred to drop waste at land fill.
    Me I would be looking for a few more quotes with a break down of cost/work done.

orangestreet likes this.
  7. orangestreet

Thanks everyone.

My first instinct was to get rid of the whole thing. But I am not sure if the retaining wall appears to be holding anything up, like a garden bed or god knows what. I bought the house using a buyers agent and have never been to it myself.

Will look at getting rid of it once and for all and put in a simple fence if it is possible.

kierank likes this.
  8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I hope in future you could

Cheers,
    Oracle.

orangestreet likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looks like a standard front fence IMHO. No provision for drainage so it becomes a swimming pool holding back many m3 of water & dirt. Of course it is going to fail.

When you remove the dirt behind the fence, you'll find that the next ones behind will also fail if they haven't been build correctly with proper drainage behind them.

datto, Propertunity and orangestreet like this.
  10. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Drafting, engineering, building licence, surveying, concrete footings, plasterer, painter.

Retaining walls aren't just a bricklayer for a couple of days.

Phantom likes this.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

12. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

13. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

14. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

1.Remove the roots probably requires hiring a Stump grinder. Maybe $500

2. Make sure drainage is working ie repair Ag piping & rock. Replace soil.

3. Render up the cracks and unsightly wall at the back. Hire a renderer/ handyman or diy.

Probably under 2k total ( presuming not diy) and be looking good.

orangestreet likes this.
  15. orangestreet

Thanks @magpieseason, DYI is out- don’t live anywhere near Brisbane. Do you personally know of any tradies who do this in Brisbane?

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would remove the ugly brickwork on left, clean up any other that looks like this, find some very small shrubs to put there * just patch the cracks with a flexible colored joint.

It does not seem to match the house anyway. When going to sell, that is when I would re look at how to improve.

Propertunity and orangestreet like this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get creative - remove the soil, install a bladder for rainwater storage & divert your stormwater system. Put a deck over the top of it. Bag the unsightly brickwork.

Note: these works won't make the wall stable so it will still be unsafe if the brickwork has failed

Last edited: 11th Nov, 2018
    orangestreet likes this.
  18. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

If you don't mind me asking, roughly where in Brisbane is the property located?

19. orangestreet

Hi Tom, it is in the Enoggerra (north west Brisbane - BCC) region.