Retaining wall vs soakwells...

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Not the Mamma, 23rd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Not the Mamma

Not the Mamma New Member

We have been in this house for 10 years, although it was built in 92.

Edit. We are on the low side - retaining wall is ours.

There is a retaining wall along the right hand side of our property. It's one of the older style reinforced cement bars.?

The dividing fence is then on the right of the wall.

On our side of the property the fence is 1.8m from the retaining wall.

The neighbours fence height is 1.52m.

We have had multiple complaints to the council regarding privacy and other issues associated with this situation.

Its now come to our attention that there are 3 downpipes on their property that go into soakwells within 1 - 2 meters of the retaining wall, with the most recent downpipe / soak well added 6 weeks ago.

There is visible movement in the retaining wall and piles of dirt at the footings of the retaining wall closest to the soakwells.

We have served them a letter of demand 6 weeks ago now, but this was before we found out about the soakwells.

I am waiting on the councils building dept surveyor to get all the plans, speak to compliance, and then have suitable grounds for civil damages.

Its entirely possible that the original owner did his own site works - and left his site high causing damaged to the dividing fence along the way.

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

What do you want done to solve the problem?

3. Not the Mamma

Not the Mamma New Member

I think the neighbour is responsible for the damage with multiple soakwells so close to the wall/fence.

I am not sure what process to take action as there is a 6 yr limitation on this type of thing.
    *shrug*

4. Not the Mamma

Not the Mamma New Member

Had a reply from the councils surveyor, although he hasn't been onsite yet.

Any soil that rises over the retaining wall must be excavated out. These costs should be borne by the neighbour. I do hope it gets done by a professional. Once the surveyor goes onsite and see's what this neighbour has done, I can see an expensive bill coming his way.