Retail chain refuses to pay rent in stand-off with retail landlords

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Waterboy, 26th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I think you are missing the point.

Premier has decided unilaterally to move their suppliers to 180 days irrespective of what the agreed payment terms were.

If Myer decides to do the same thing, where their major supplier is Premier's major shareholder, then that may not result in the same outcome, which could be awkward in terms of "Optics".

Whether or not some completely different businesses have used the same tactic in the past is interesting, but not really relevant.

If Premier's suppliers have the right to remove their stock from Premier's store's, then they should probably consider this option carefully, given the constantly changing situation.

It would be difficult for Premier to argue to their suppliers that "we stood with you", when it was arguable that the opposite might be true.

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Sounds like speculating on that stock that the buying consideration should go into the "Pending" file, but the selling consideration should go in the "Consider Carefully" file.

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2020
  3. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Government is looking to support 'Established Business' & 'their workers', unfortunately I don't think they have as much interest in who owns the building/land.

4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If you own residential property you are already "looked after" with generous policies like negative gearing and CGT exemptions .
    I loved our tax cheque around July or August and used to came just in time to pay for the holidays.
    If people don't want to use it when the economy takes a really bad turn , then why have it.
    Be careful what you wish for, when this is all finished and its time to pay back a trillion dollars in debt , some one might take it away .

5. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

12% Drop today, maybe the word has gotten around?

6. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

If you're an older person with paid off IPs that you rely on for income and never intend to sell you're not looked after - depending on total income, you're quite possibly paying tax on income received. If you're in this position and haven't got other income streams, non-paying tenant(s) could really drop you in it - the bills and urgent repairs still have to be paid for. "I'm sorry, the tenant hasn't paid any rent for three months" is no excuse for not fixing the hot water.

Rugrat, wylie, Beano and 1 other person like this.
  7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Im an older person with paid off IPs , you can't take them with you when you pass away, so just sell one , and thank youself at how lucky you are to have IPs paid off.
    Do you think 2 months age over a million workers would have "intended" to become unemployed or tens thousands of businesses would be forced to close down for a few months , and for many they wont survive, they did nothing wrong , they were forced to close to help save elderly lives.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2020
  8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Fortunate, yes. Lucky? To a small extent, much more to do with working hard and living relatively modestly (e.g. running a Honda Jazz when I could have afforded a BMW).

craigc and wylie like this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

the harder I work in something worthwhile

the luckier I get

ta
    rolf

craigc, Tony3008 and wylie like this.
  10. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Maybe some of them did nothing wrong, but many took on too much debt, became overleveraged, failed to think about how to deal with risk and just went about the day-to-day operations in a happy-go-lucky fashion. Or to put it in a nicer way: they were too optimistic.

11. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Are you discussing landlords, renters - or both?

12. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Good question. Understand this is a property forum, but I actually was thinking about business owners of gyms, clubs, specialty stores, movie theaters etc. all those fancy places that rely on discretionary spending of an ever increasing population.

What I meant to say was that: in good times, the business generated healthy profits, which mainly lined the pockets of its owners who paid their hapless staffers peanuts. Now that a crisis has hit them, instead of keeping the business afloat using the profits they took, the owners furloughed all staff and asked the gov/taxpayers for handouts, while relaxing in their waterfront homes.

Of course, there are hard working entrepreneurs who are under financial stress personally, I'm not talking about them, they are the people that should be helped.

13. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

United Kingdom (temp)- previously Brisbane QLD
    What I meant to say was that: in good times, the property generated healthy profits, which only lined the pockets of its owners who raised their tenants rent. Now that a crisis has hit them, instead of keeping themselves afloat using the profits they took or gains they have 'made', the owners asked the gov/taxpayers for handouts, while relaxing in their waterfront homes.

Of course, there are hard working property owners who are under financial stress personally, I'm not talking about them, they are the people that should be helped.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Apr, 2020
    Melbourne_guy likes this.
  14. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

You selling at discount?

15. Omnidragon

Oh I’m doing my part

16. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

No , We might do something similiar to to the GFC ,wait 12-18 months and pick up another really cheap property straight of a lender of last resort or a bank.
    We dont need to sell because we knuckled down and paid them off , but if i spent the last 10 years Interest only , I probably would be crying into my double shot half almond milk latte about the cost of owning an investment properties.
    The next year will almost wipe out last years profit on our cash cow whick is a short term rental
    But we have had over 10 good years with the last 4 being really good.
    Thats how life works .
    You take the good years , but occasionally life throws you a curve ball.

Vine Street and alicudi like this.
  17. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

What I say is that: in good times, the tenants generated healthy profits, which only lined the pockets of its business owners who raised their bank balances. Now that a crisis has hit them, instead of keeping themselves afloat using the profits they took or gains they have 'made', the business owners asked the gov/taxpayers for handouts, while relaxing in their waterfront homes.

Of course, there are hard working tenants who are under financial stress personally, I'm not talking about them, they are the people that should be helped.

18. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Prima facie this is a breach of the third leg of section 254T of the Corporations Act.

A company must not pay a dividend unless:

(a) The company's assets exceed its liabilities immediately before the dividend is declared and the excess is sufficient for the payment of the dividend; and
    (b) the payment of the dividend is fair and reasonable to the company's shareholders as a whole; and
    (c) the payment of the dividend does not materially prejudice the company's ability to pay its creditors.

Lawyers could have a field day with this.

19. Omnidragon

Some have no savings because they've used their profits to expand their business 5-fold and expand with more stores overseas. Poor souls.

Vine Street likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They could include it in the accounts as a contingency for rental liability. The full value of property leases is included in the accounts nowadays due to complying with international accounting standards.