Resurfacing kitchen cabinets

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brian84, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I will probably use a 200x150UB if you know steel terms. Universal beam or UB is the same as an I shaped beam

2. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

A 250 UB of some sort will do. :)

Brian84 likes this.
  3. Brian84

They have to find me first lol. I have one handy just incase and I can get a cc if need be from my brother in law

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Yeah i know em. Could bite you in the ass later down the track depending the plan for the place, if you can get it drawn up, even after it's in would be a safe bet, especially if you know a guy, who knows a guy who can use cad ;)
    And you'll set it up in the ceiling so you don't see it?
    A bulk head over the island could look alright as a feature, and to break up all that ceiling you'll have to look at!

5. Brian84

I was thinking a decent bulkhead anyway over the island bench with some downlights even though the steel will be in the roof.

bob shovel likes this.
  6. Brian84

My uncle is an architect so he could draw something up if need be.

7. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Don't paint the doors, it will look crap. Replace them and it will make a big difference,
    I got the benchtops, doors, handles, draw fronts, kickboards and end panels replaced on this kitchen. He also installed the pantry cabinet you can see on the end near the stove, plus an overhead cabinet in the laundry and a linen cupboard at the end of a hallway. Total damage was $4,500.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JZ93, wylie, Chilliblue and 3 others like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Have you tried painting them before or just went straight for the replacement?
    Love the brick print curtain, where did you find that?

9. skyfall

I haven't tried painting because whiteboard is very cheap ($16 for 1200x2400) and looks much better. I did try white knight tile paint once but it looks rubbish. Once I learnt to tile I found it much easier to pull off the old tiles and put new ones on. That's a real brick wall ;)

10. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

The carcass of the kitchen in the house I just bought was fine, it just had a really outdated style to it that was unappealing. I organised for it to be 2Pac coated high gloss white. The tradies removed all of the doors and side boards that were not load bearing, spray painting them at the factory and then bubble wrapped the rest of the kitchen to spray what couldn’t be removed. Very happy with the end result. Installed new chrome cupboard and door handles to finish it off.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Just the once? I'd give it a go, but probably wouldn't be the best the 1st time. I might practice on a rental.

That is close! IP or PPOR?

12. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We painted doors on a kitchen and replaced the handles. 4 years later it looks tired but did the job we intended it to.
    If you are going to fork out for granite benchtops I wouldn't waste money on doing a mock up job on the doors. You'll just be needing to do it again in a few years.
    Replace therm all or get a new kitchen. New kitchens aren't that expensive. Below is my new kitchen. $8,000 installed + oven, hotplate, rangehood, sink, taps.

Attached Files:

13. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Oops! put the unfinished photo.

Attached Files:

Brian84 likes this.
  14. skyfall

I only tried it once and was super careful with the prep and painting but it still looks like someone painted over the tiles and bath.. then it started to peel off after 2-3 years which made it look worse. It's much easier and quicker to knock off the old tiles with a bolster, stick new ones on and grout them. An average sized kitchen splashback takes about 2-3 hours to tile.

It's an IP, semi detached house with a lane running between it and the converted factory next door. Tenants are uni 3 girls who like the privacy.

15. Brian84

image.jpg
    What do you think of this layout bob. Or anyone else if they want to give feedback.

16. bob shovel

Lovin the drawing and use of colour!

Thatll open the place up heaps! I like it

Have you thought about filling in the current back door in the corner of the kitchen? Then whack in a new sliding/bi fold behind the dining table? You'll get more cupboard space and finish the kitchen nicely, plus tool Getty a nice big door and lots of light in

Also, to put my engineer hat on, will you need to keep part of the wall at the entry to use add a column for new beam? The small 1m ish section, so the beam runs along where the old wall is.
    I'll try get to the comp tonight to draw it

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2015
    Brian84 likes this.
  17. bob shovel

Actually what is the plan for the beams? Can you draw them in to, or is it just one needed running long ways

18. Brian84

In Orange. Steel going front to back 250ub and left to right timber beams 245x65 glam beams image.jpg

bob shovel likes this.
  19. Brian84

I can't close the back door and put the door behind the dining table because there is a carport which I am enclosing and parking my truck there.

bob shovel likes this.
  20. Brian84

Love a good highlighter lol. Makes things easier to understand

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.