Resurfacing bath with Bunnings purchase

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by sammmeee, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

Hmm definitely wasn't white knight product. when I did this I had just painted a whole house internal and external in 24hrs. No sleep and over it, was looking for the easiest solution. White knight had too much prep. I did a coat and it just didn't look right so I just thought screw it and poured the whole lot over the bath and spread it. The box didn't say swear at bathtub then throw all paint over it but probably should have.

Most importantly it wasn't used for over a week. Had home inspections and just asked them not to turn the bath taps on and not touch the bath as it had just been professionally resurfaced

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I've seen another brand in Bunnin v s too. Looks like you don't have to be a perfectionist for it to come up well.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Haha, that's awesome.
    If I attempt it I'll make sure to put drop sheets around it and then go to town.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Spray can be tricky if not experienced.
    Possibly peeled due to not preparing surface correctly (just slapped it on quick for sale effect, no concern for long-term, new owner etc), trouble is if one spot has peeled more may follow, we also don't know what its been painted with, maybe just general enamel (take a peeled bit to paint shop, they should be able to tell you, can advise options).

Without seeing it myself, IMO all you can really do for now is ensure all peeling is removed, pick around edges to make sure your back to bonded paint.
    Have a good look all over the bath with a torch (LED preferable) to see if there's any bubbling, potential peeling (anything that looks sus pressure test it with your fingernail), if anything remove it.
    Sand paper the edges smooth (painting without this will show lines)
    Re-paint following the instructions with - https://www.masters.com.au/product/900044414/rust-oleum-tub-tile-refinishing-kit-white-946ml

This will cover more than just the bath so if you have any other ceramics that need freshening up have them prepared to paint before mixing part A with B, do it all at the same time.

Down the track if it looks like crap at-least its a claw bath, can be easily removed, professionally sand blasted and sprayed.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

7. larrylarry

Thanks guys
    I will have a closer look. It's an IP and settle in 2 weeks.

8. sammmeee

Found it...I must have purchased it from Masters though. I am about to do another bath tub so have been looking for what I used. Couldn't find it at bunnings, so I went online and found that it was at masters..then found all these great reviews on it at amazon. The before and after pictures on here are amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7860519-Refinishing-2-Part-White/dp/B000PTSBKW

oops sorry I just saw someone had suggested this early...oh well +1
    -1 for white knight. I hate it haven't had much luck with that.

9. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Can this be used to paint bathroom floor tiles as well?

I have them tiny little square tiles that are a horrible brown (yay 70's) in a house i am renovating to sell

10. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Used the rust-oleum stuff last week. Make sure you slop it on thick, buy yourself a few 75mm thin nap roller covers and cheap 38mm brushes, once this stuff is on it's no use cleaning them up, straight in the bin. I only used the brushes for the edges, used roller for 95% of the bath.

I went through two lots of it, as it says to discard after 6 hours, took a lot longer to dry than what it said, maybe cause I put it on so thick.

Ended up OK, but I got a few bits and the surface is not very smooth, think it destroyed my first foam roller cover so I wouldn't use the foam roller covers - may have been due to one of the coats not being totally dry. Sure looks the goods though, nice and white.

11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I used a different rustoleum product for the tiles in my roman bath - it came up amazing. It was $100 from bunnings and I used 2 b/c there was a lot of tiles and really crappy grout, but I am so happy with the result. 20150815_141821.jpg
    20150909_133543.jpg

Codie, Piston_Broke, Shady and 6 others like this.
  12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yes, I've done a shower tile floor also, I don't expect it to last forever (not like tile surface), will no doubt end up with goat tracks eventually, but easy to re-coat when required

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Nice job Jess, well done, I couldn't find anything suitable at bunnings, was it a 2pack paint (i.e. mix part A with B)
    How strong were the fumes? I was feeling pretty ruff for a few hours after

14. Jess Peletier

Yep 2 part stuff. I wasn't bothered by the fumes, I wore a mask and it was fine.

15. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Nice. I want to do a whole bathroom walls, tub ,floor.

When doing floors should I get it tinted to a different colour? Or just do all white?

16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Tube & Tile comes in 3 colors, White, Biscuit & Almond, don't believe they can be tinted however there maybe other products that can.

Personally I go white all over as it makes what is a small room look larger/brighter, especially if a large mirror is added.
    Whilst empty it looks sterile, once color is added with towels, shelving etc that softens.

Per instructions;
    Remember to remove all silicon prior to a through clean, including tight corners, replace with white mold resistant silicon a day or more after complete.
    Make sure surface has no moister before applying paint as it could bubble (leave it dry for min 24hrs after cleaning).

Also;
    As your doing a reno, depending on condition of vanity, I went with this; (~$250)
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-900mm-vinyl-wrap-freestanding-vanity-cabinet_p4843096
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-900mm-white-polymarble-vanity-top-1th_p4843094
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-wels-4-star-40mm-allana-cast-basin-mixer_p5002819
    Easy to DIY (if confident) depending what your replacing you may need a couple of these and some thread tape http://www.bunnings.com.au/brass-compres-union-kinetic-15cx20mi-54122_p4700051
    Place something waterproof under it to keep it from getting wet, something like this http://www.bunnings.com.au/tic-19mm-white-plastic-cushioned-glide-4-piece_p4050103
    Then silicon around base and sides

I also threw in one of these for $200 to get rid of crappy curtain (check size suitability)
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-1830-x-840-900-x-870mm-white-framed-glass-shower-screen_p4890317

17. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

The white knight laminate paint can be tinted, got some done for kitchen cupboards.

18. larrylarry

Sorry to inform you that my clawed bath is not that good looking. I think I spent the least time in the bathroom. It looks cheap in this photograph. It has some rust, paint peeled etc. I think I need to do what @WestOz suggested. I have other pictures at home, of the rust and stains. :(

Attached Files:

19. sammmeee

Hi guys here is my latest resurface. Yes I used the rust-oleum large pack from Bunnings. I would suggest DONT use the roller included in pack. Use a foam roller. I have found the results to be much better!

I have used white knight products before.. Epic fail, chips easy and white goes yellow not good at all.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. Jess Peletier

It's so gratifying seeing something so ugly come up so great for $100! Looks fantastic!

WestOz likes this.