Restumping

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by TheDon, 19th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheDon

TheDon Well-Known Member

How long should I wait to install a new roof after restumping?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Until the concrete has reached design strength or 28 days or as instructed by the engineer.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As soon as you can afford it :rolleyes:
    In actuality I'd replace the roof first ;)
    Drainage is important as moisture causes all sorts of movement :confused:

4. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Can do it straight away, any slight settling won't do anything to the roof..

We do say at least a month before any Plastering/tiling/painting etc..

5. Optimus

Can't tell if serious or not with all the emojis..

But DO NOT do the roof first, unless you want your gutters to potentially flow the wrong direction after levelling the house.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Any roof plumber worth his weight is going to follow the top plate/facia not a spirit level o_O
    The only way the gutters would end up that far out of plumb is if the floors don't end up even close to level once restumped :confused:
    Even if this did occur it's easy to adjust a few gutter clips.
    If your ground is reactive (heavy clay) then ensure the restumping is done when the ground is relatively dry, or once you get the roof done and the ground dries out it will shrink (and this may cause your stumps move)

7. Optimus

That's my point!

The top plate/fascia will not be straight because the house has sunk!

Now if they follow the top plate/fascia and we then go and level the house- what's going to happen to the gutters/top plate/fascia? o_O:confused::eek::D

Unless of course they take the levels of the house, work out where and how much it can be lifted (not all houses can be levelled 100% due to multiple reasons) THEN clip the gutters on out of level to compensate for the house being levelled..

Find me a roofer that will do that, though..

Easier and a better result for the house to restump first, as I said....;);););)

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So by following the facia that "used to be level" (prior to the house sinking/settling) when installing the guttering when the house is restumped the facia will again be level and the guttering will work as intended ;)

Ok, you must own one of those houses with elastic wall studs :rolleyes:
    Because with every place with stumps that I have renovated the measurement from the bearer (The thing that sits on the stump) all the way up to the roofing is a fixed measurement, so when a few stumps fail it isn't just the floor that sags :p

Am surprised that @Scott No Mates as a qualified builder hasn't chimed in yet

9. Optimus

Only IF the house can be lifted and levelled back to it's original position, like I said... ;)

And since you have made mention of how important Drainage is, what's the point in doing the roof first (and putting the gutters back in the same position) if the gutters are not flowing because the house has sunk and now they over flow? (Let's throw another emoji in here because I feel like a 15 year old :p:p)

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.