Restumping

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by sjxsjx, 23rd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sjxsjx

sjxsjx New Member

Hi everyone,

First time to open a new thread here so appreciate your time to read. Previously have received a lot of useful information from other posts so appreciate.

We just bought the old house in north shore sydney earlier in the year. On the building inspection report (yah we purchased the one provided by the vendor, sadly and not smart!!), It mentioned 'one pier is leaning and requires repairment or rebuilt'. Unfortunately when we moved in, the structure engineer engaged advise quite a few more work including reinforce a few more piers.

We asked for a few builders to quote, they all recommend much more major restumping (remove a couple deteriorated piers and install 12 plus new steel piers etc). Fair enough, although all the builders also mentioned that no permits from council are required at all (which is somewhat different to what I read online...). I am going to enquire the council as the next step I guess - although I wonder whether it means I need to get further quotes later so would really appreciate any advice and insights on the topic.

I would appreciate any advices:
    1. Anyone has done restumping in Sydney and whether a permit was required? Did the build obtain the permit on your behalf (that would be ideal)?
    2. If a permit was not required, how could I ensure that the work done is compliant and what document I would have, say for selling the house in the future?
    3. Any recommendations on builders for restumping / subfloor jobs?

Thanks heaps in advance!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check the classifieds in The North Shore Times.

Piers shouldn't need a council permit

They will need a dampcourse 2 courses above ground level & an ant cap under the bearers.

Ask your engineer for a sketch, nominate the piers, specification, scope of work & work method to be followed.

If this has been purchased legitimately, then it would highlight if they inspected the subfloor area or if it was excluded. If coverage was extended to you as a purchaser relying on the report, then their professional indemnity insurance would be extended to you as well & you may be able to claim for their shortcomings.

willair and Stoffo like this.
  3. sjxsjx

sjxsjx New Member

Thanks Scott for the advice!

I guess I should follow up with the structure engineer again for a written report. During the inspection and consultation he called out a few things, but commented them 'being fairly standard work' and said I could choose to quote without going down to the path of a full report.

Wrt to the inspection report, the subfloor was inspected. There were photos of a pier that was leaning, as well as the clause that 'some areas in the subfloor are with restricted access and ...' - engineer/builder said a few other piers are not leaning visually but also failed... I guess I won't have much chance in claiming but regardless should explore.

First time to purchase a non-strata type property and was not super switched on...

4. Mezza

Mezza Active Member

A number of years ago I restumped 5-6 piers without needing any council approval.

I can pass on the builders details who did the job if you PM me.

5. sjxsjx

sjxsjx New Member

Hi Maze thanks for the reply :D
    I have tried to pm (started a conversation) and hoped it worked. Cheers!