restumping

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by GoOnAndTell, 10th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

I know its a how long is a piece of string but we are really struggling to get other quotes.

We have an IP in a regional town, it needs roofing and stumping in its near feature (yes not our best purchase). I am considering biting the bullet and getting it done (or biting the bullet and selling it really needs new stumps so i think it might be very slow to shift as is).

Quote is $17k for a small 3 bedder, access isn't great but that does mean shot straight forward stumps. It seems a touch high to me but being a country town of 10k population we are struggling to get anyone out to quote people from larger towns about 1 hour away.

Thoughts?

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

How many stumps?

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Need a little more information for a more accurate opinion.
    How many stumps are bad?, all wooden?, or a mix of steel and wood?, access?, high set or low set house?

We were considering restumping some old Qld highset renovators in our last trip to Qld.
    Until we found the prices were pretty expensive - up to $30k to do legal height with a concrete floor!
    Some places we could have done ourselves and some you would need an expert/experienced person to avoid issues.
    Usually the footings were missing or undersized - lots of concrete needed in some places with clay and soft ground.

Saw plenty of dodgy jobs where villaboard was packed a few inches thick on rotten stumps.......:(

Replacing old wood stumps with steel is most common.
    Treated timber is another choice but not as solid as steel.
    Not really sure that you get your money back at 2x cost when you go to sell.....

What do you get done for your $17k quote...?

SerenityNow likes this.
  4. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

replacing wooden with concrete, don't know the number sorry i will be in town in a week and will do a count. Low set house on flat(ish) ground.

I agree not sure about getting 2x cash, but I think it may be a show stopper selling as is. This is more about making an asset sellable rather than seeking profit.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Where is the house?

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Sounds a little high but not far off. The main thing is they do it properly and don't cut corners . I restumped my place couple years ago and done it myself. Bloody hard work and got it reasonably level.

SerenityNow likes this.
  7. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

@Hodge you are builder i assume...

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Yes but legally couldn't do it for others. Two and a bit years later the house hasn't moved and no cracks in plaster.

S0805 likes this.