Resources re Procrastination

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Lisa Parker, 13th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Team,

I am looking for some resources about procrastination.

Specifically - what it is, why people do it and hopefully a book or something that outlines what a person needs to do to get out of procrastination.

(even if you have some tips you could share about what you did to move yourself out of procrastination)

Thanks everyone

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'll send you a link to some resources, when I get around to it, one day :p:p

Kevvy7, ellejay, craigc and 2 others like this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I find that I procrastinate when I'm not busy enough. I'm currently reading a book called Single-tasking, which is good - I usually have about 10 tabs open on my browser that I flick between, so this is now finished and I only have open the ones I am actively using for the job at hand.

Also the book Eat That Frog was good - I need to read it again.

Property Twins and Lisa Parker like this.
  4. Lisa Parker

Thanks Jess!

5. Lisa Parker

HA! I got so excited when I read the first half of that message!

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

What is it: knowing there is something that you have to do but deliberately choosing to do it "later", but not setting a time to do it or setting a deadline.

Why do people do it: I put off doing things I don't like doing, like filing, writing memos or preparing my tax. I also procrastinate when I know there will be no immediate consequences for not doing something. For example, tax isn't due until October, I won't get in trouble if I don't do it in July, August or September. Deadlines are good for procrastinators. I have studied courses where I had assignments with due dates and without due dates. I usually got the due date assignments in on time but never completed the no due date assignments.

I don't but I can outline how I have made big changes in the past. I think this would work for procrastinating.

1. Change your mindset. You need to make a conscious decision not to be a procrastinator and to take action to do things you need to do without putting them off.

2. For the things you need to do, set smart goals. Smart goals are:
    Specific
    Mesurable
    Achievable
    Realistic
    Time based

A simple example is to set aside a time of 7pm every Sunday night to pay all outstanding bills.

I am sure there are some good resources around. I'll look them up later. ;)

Lisa Parker likes this.