Resources for Ageing

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 16th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many of us deal with people who are ageing - parents or grandparents - or are getting older themselves, and may have concerns about problems which may lie ahead.

I've recently come across two excellent in depth free resources dealing with aspects of ageing, in ourselves or others
    1. Depression and anxiety can become huge issues with older people. The highest rates of suicide in the population are men aged 85+. Beyond Blue has a course covering many aspects of this - https://www.beyondblue.org.au/about...sional-education-in-to-aged-care-peac-program

2. Dementia. The University of Tasmania provides a course, starting now, about risk factors for dementia and how to reduce some of those factors
    Preventing Dementia MOOC

I've seen my mother suffer through some years of dementia before she passed, and I watched my father become depressed in a facility. Although his care was excellent, his sedentary lifestyle for many years restricted his choices later in life.

Both courses would have been good to understand what my parents were going through, although it's too late for that. Both have a lot of information about cutting risk factors for myself as I get older. The crossover is interesting - there are many risk factors common to depression and dementia.

sharon, Anne11, chindonly and 3 others like this.
  2. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

My Dad killed himself aged 87. Mum, after suffering Dementia for many years followed 6 weeks later. I was relieved to be honest. On the upside here in WA the mental health service for adults 65 plus is top notch.
    Lots of older adults just want to see out their days living with their family, this has become quite unfashionable, and, to be fair, difficult for families due to co morbidities and time pressures. This generation truly is “ the sandwich generation “.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for that link Geoff WW..

Makes one think as i am on the wrong side of 60 myself and reading about all those poor people that end their life by suicide ..

Sometimes one has to set huge un-achievable challenges each day and try to rise above them..

Just hope when and if i run into that age-frame ,i can still walk each day because once you start walking after 100 steps all the life's problem's are left behind..

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.