Resize internal doors

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SupaRex, 7th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SupaRex

SupaRex Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've just had new carpet put in and now the doors don't open "properly". The bottom of the door hits the new carpet and I have to really force the door open. Obviously this is no good.

I'm thinking I take an electric planer to the bottom of the door, but is there a better/different way, or something else I should be doing instead?

Appreciate any help!

2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with hitting them with a planer but a better way would be to use a track/plunge saw, the cut will be square and much neater.

I've done quick plunge saw jobs with the door in situ on old Queenslanders. A lot of flooring trades will go with this method but it can be fiddly to set up and it won't be perfectly square unless the floor itself is dead flat.

I'd be lost without my Festool TS55

Perthguy likes this.
  3. SupaRex

Thanks for the reply @Tyler Durden

I have a circular saw and guide. Might use that. Can't justify the cost of a track saw for what I need to do.

Thank you again for the tip!

4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

You can get purpose-made door trimmers for trimming a door in situ UFS 115N Twist Door Trimmer230V - Undercut Saw - Jamb Saw - Kevmor but if you've got a circular saw use this - take the door off and clamp a straight piece of wood as a guide at the appropriate distance from where you need the cut. Find this out by experimenting on a piece of scrap - on my Makita battery saw it's 38mm. Then run the saw along the guide - you'll get a perfectly straight cut even if you're taking off a tiny amount.

Perthguy and SupaRex like this.
  5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Assuming it's a normal hollow core interior door you may need to re-block it if it's already been trimmed to fit in the jamb as if you trim it too much then the veneer will have little or nothing to adhere to and will more than likely de-laminate over time.

Reblocking is fairly straight forward if it needs to be done with some good videos on youtube that can walk you through it.

SupaRex likes this.
  6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

No worries that's understandable, the circular saw will be fine as @Tony3008 points out. Just take it easy and watch for chipping of the door skin, use a sharp saw blade and masking tape is your friend!

SupaRex likes this.
  7. SupaRex

I have a sharp blade, and I was going to take it slow, but I didn't think of tape! Thank you again!!

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yeah always tape the door edge on the run off side which may chip and watch the underside of a older saw. You can tape a soft fabric to the underside of the circ saw eg chux to avoid marks across the lower part of the door. Just keep it tight and well clear of the blade.