residentail tenancy agreement

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by muller23, 25th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. muller23

muller23 Well-Known Member

hi guys

My tenancy agreement expires on 1.08.2016,I like to sign a new lease agreement on a new house and write a note to the old landlord I will be moving out on the 2.08.2016.
    I live in Perth.

Can I do this or do i have to wait for the lease to expire first.

regards m

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not a Perth expert but you will need to give the owner the required period of notice under the lease this could be 21 days and may be longer once the lease expires. Read your lease but 14 days may be the absolute minimum (very unlikely).

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I don't know specifically what the law is in WA, but in most states you need to give about 30 days notice. The landlord has the right to expect rent to be paid until the end of that period. You should inform the landlord immediately.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2016
  4. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Notice period in Melbourne is 28 days' written notice. It appears in WA this is 21 days' notice -

Tenant ending a tenancy

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If you wanted to vacate a day after the end of your fixed term, you were meant to give the landlord formal notice at least 30 days before your proposed vacate date. Better talk to the landlord and see if you can work something out asap.

6. muller23

muller23 Well-Known Member

thanks guys

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.