NSW Research the site before buying

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by np999, 19th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Just read this on smh:
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...t-after-three-year-delay-20190213-p50xgi.html

While the risk to this particular estate seems low, it highlights the importance of research of the development site. I've always been wary of warehouse conversions and redevelopments (esp in the western suburbs of sydney).

Here is a personal story:
    A close relative bought a very expensive apartment in a new high rise development about 12 years ago (not in Australia). About a year after moving in, he discovered that there were ants crawling in the rooms. He tried many different ways to treat it but the ants kept coming back. After checking with the neighbors it turned out many of them had the same issue.

Later some residents in the block mentioned that the site was originally a sugar processing plant and that could be the main reason for it being infested with ants.

I don't know the validity of this speculation because my relative sold the apartment and moved on, leaving the new owner to work it out. But ever since hearing about this, I've always tried to stay away from properties developed on sites that were originally factories or warehouses. Who knows what was stored or being processed?
    In sydney, there are many new developments in its western suburbs and also around rosebery/mascot, it's best to check out the history of a site before buying.

Shawn6334 likes this.