Rescinding off-the-plan contract

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Michael White, 3rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Michael White

Michael White New Member

I bought an off-the-plan apartment in Melbourne three years ago, and the sunset date comes into effect this week. Construction has not yet commenced on the property, despite assurances from the development team at several times during the last three years it would be "soon".
    I have decided to rescind my contract and have my deposit returned to me. My questions:
    1) What is the normal process for notifying the vendor of my intention to rescind the contract? DO I need to go through a solicitor, or will a simple email from myself be sufficient?
    2) How long does the process take to have my deposit returned to me?

I just want to make it clear I am not angry with the developer, I do understand that delays happen and this is just a risk that comes with off-the-plan properties.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I would def go the soli route

ta
    rolf

wylie, Lindsay_W, Marg4000 and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Where is the deposit ? You didnt allow them to use it did you ? If you released it then good luck you may be a unsecured creditor. Importance of being held in a trust account becomes apparent. Definately one for a solicitor