Requirements for turning garage into additional bedroom???

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by bestor Investor92, 14th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bestor Investor92

bestor Investor92 Member

Hi All,

Looking to buy a property where the garage has been somewhat renovated, indicated on the floor plan as storage, and i am trying to understand if it is possible & what is would take to turn this into an additional bedroom - as in, complying with building code, able to advertise rent & valuate the property with this room as a bedroom.

Im finding some general requirements from online searches like ventilation, ensuring room is a livable space, meets minimum dimensions etc. but nothing at this point to tell me...yes it is possible if X is done, or.... no will not meet code due to X being a red flag....

some specifics about it:
    • the garage is attached to the dwelling with same ceiling height & floor level
    • is on a concrete slab with carpeting
    • dimensions: 4.5m x 3.0m
    • has been insulted (gyp-rock) on three walls, closing off the garage door with an inside door that doesn't go anywhere.
    • one wall is exposed brick that has been painted
    • no windows but can be added
    • right side of the garage sits against the boundary fence
    any ideas on which category i could get this too (possible to reno into a bedroom/ not possible) will help greatly with pricing i look to offer,

Thanks in advance for your comments!!

2. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

The first thing would be to find out if it has an impervious membrane under the slab.
    Often garages don't have them.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's called storage because it doesn't have a window. Put one in and your done

You can advertise it as storage and tenants can /will decide if they use it as a bedroom

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have a house where the tenants asked to turn an old garage into a bedroom. They would have used it "as is" but there was a very slight slope to the concrete floor. Hubby added joists and level timber floor, cut french doors (added a lintel), removed the roller door and added four windows at that end.

We did look at having it done properly and certified but this is not "my" house and the other part owner was not keen on spending money doing this. This room is two steps down from the rest of the house so down the track, a certifier "could" inspect the slab under what is now a timber floor and we may get approval for it and be able to call it a "bedroom".

For now though, it is perfectly habitable and tenants can use it as a bedroom, or a living room.

If we sell this house and somebody plays silly games about this room, they can move along.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Any room with a bed is a bedroom in my eyes lol. Even a bath tub with a couple of blankets..

Terry_w and Mario Llige like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You could talk to a builder.

I am looking at doing this in Perth. Easiest way for me is to get a builder to lodge building plans with council and get it all approved. One issue I see is that the floor is not level. It slopes so that water doesn't pool in the garage. Not sure how this can be rectified. I still don't have a quote from a builder so I don't know about cost.

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Are you definately sure the slab in the garage is the same floor level as the rest of the house? You mentioned it's carpeted. Is there any chance it has been raised and covered by the carpet? Can't seem to remember a house on a slab that didn't have a step up to the house from the garage. This can create water/moisture issues if water isn't being redirected away from the garage.
    The best way to find out what needs to be done is to speak to council. They will tell you what is required. These might include - ventilation, natural light, minimum height, removing garage door and replacing with appropriate door, making sure waterproofing sufficiently deters any water from entering from weep holes if any, appropriate lighting for a habitable room also making sure it adheres to current building code including insulation primarily for the external walls. This will all need to be done with with a DA. I would say this hasn't been done thus why it is being advertised as a storage room. Just my thoughts.

8. bob shovel

Never give your identity to council when calling. And call again the following week to speak to someone else and get totally different info! :eek:
    I enclosed a carport under the main roof, slab 250mm lower and also dropped the ceiling

Hanison, Perthguy and jins13 like this.
  9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Learned this the hard way on not giving my name and details. No benefit for trying to be too honest.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. bob shovel

Surprise inspection? Or just general harassment?

11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Just general harassment and it was better for me not to have disclosed my details or address!

12. bestor Investor92

bestor Investor92 Member

Very helpful!, and yes, on a closer inspection - the garage is a few inchs lower than the dwelling, so considering water is key,

Thanks

Phantom likes this.
  13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

No problem. :)

14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Council will tell you so much but will/should point you towards a certifier as with most councils its self assessable i.e. a certifier assesses and lodges the building approval.

I agree moisture is the main issue you will deal with. Other than a vapour barrier under the slab, you need to make sure the garage slab level is a certain height above external ground level, depending on the rainfall intensity of the area. This is to make sure external surface water adequately drains away from the house.

Perthguy likes this.